Macrider

I,m a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.
Ride
2010 Triumph R3T Black "Darksider" imitation 70cc motorized "Harley Davidson" bicycle
Don't get me wrong, but I do love the thrill of power and speed.
But sometimes I get a little scared with the tremendous power of my modded R3Touring.
For instance ,on the highway doing 80 KPH and I want to pass a line of cars I will twist the throttle a bit and a few seconds later I am doing 130, it suddenly dawns on me that if I lose control for any reason I will die.
My common sense kicks in.
Crap, maybe I am just a chicken **** coward or do you other guys feel it too.
Mac

Last edited:
Darn Mac, what I think is that I wish you would come down to Tx and help me load that tune on my bike.:rolleyes:

But sometimes I get a little scared with the tremendous power of my modded R3Touring.
For instance ,on the highway doing 80 MPH and I want to pass a line of cars I will twist the throttle a bit and a few seconds later I am doing 130, it suddenly dawns on me that if I lose control for any reason I will die.
Mac

Funny...I had to read your post twice to be sure you really meant 130 MPH... Took my son for a ride a few weeks ago and tried hard to convince him my speedo was KPH... He wasn't buying it.

130 is fast no matter what your riding...

R3 guy , you are right I meant KPH, just fixed it.
But I have no doubt it will easily reach 130mph, I 'm just too scared to do that.

Call it fear, or maybe a healthy level of respect for the power of your bike. I remember the first time I opened mine up and the rush came over me, it was at that point that I developed a true respect for riding in general. I thought I knew how to ride pretty well and then I knew I would have to be even more diligent while on this bike. I came from a 750 to this and while the R3 is a pleasure to ride, the chance to lose it on a poor decision is even greater with all that weight and power. Sometime when I lay in bed after a day of riding and think of all the times I could have died during the day, it is interesting to me that I am more scared when I am laying in bed thinking about losing control of the bike than when I am actually on it.

I learned the hard way that you can go from 40 to 90 MPH in seconds, not by dying but from a speeding ticket. I was just passing normally but a cop happened to witness it. Fortunately he wrote me up for 65 mph.

A couple yrs ago before my car accident I would routinely take my stock R3T up to 120 MPH whenever the opportunity would allow it. So I have no doubt a modified R3T could hit 130 MPH.

Now however (post accident) I very rarely take my Roadster up past 90 and have only been to 100 MPH just one time.

Call it chicken, respect, or just an awareness of what can happen in the blink of an eye, I no longer feel the need for speed, I know what she can do, and knowing is good enough for me......;)

For instance ,on the highway doing 80 KPH and I want to pass a line of cars I will twist the throttle a bit and a few seconds later I am doing 130, it suddenly dawns on me that if I lose control for any reason I will die.
Mac

80 kph is just 50 mph, and 130 kph is only 81 mph. 80 mph is pretty much the normal flow of traffic out on I-40 here in the states. We twist the throttle at 81 mph to pass a truck and find ourselves doing 105 mph just a few seconds later. Don't even think about it. If the other traffic is moving at 80 mph, you're in greater danger when you're doing 50 mph than when you're doing 85 mph.

I think you get used to whatever the normal speeds are in your neck of the woods.

In Canada, I've heard that they will confiscate your vehicle if you're caught breaking the speed limit by large amounts, so it may be just good common sense to limit your right wrist. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

The truth is that you can be killed at 55 mph, just as you can be killed at 80 mph, or 120 mph. Every time you get out on the road, you take a chance.

I have hit 120 mph when passing on a 2 lane a few times. I feel that the ability to get up there, make your pass, then drop back down to cruise as quickly as possible makes me safer. Head on collisions are how you make a good day in to a bad one.

Back