Alternatives to Triumph Diagnostic tool T3880250

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I haven't done much research about this yet but I want to get an idea of my options. I have the 2016 hardcopy of the Rocket III service manual (and slightly older digital version) and, as you know, there's a huge section on tests and adjustments that are supposed to be done with the Triumph Diagnostic tool. Of course, that tool is extremely expensive and may even be hard to get. I'm looking for alternatives. In the little bit of searching I've done so far, there appears to be a less expensive diagnostic tool (I just can't remember the name off-hand but I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about) and I've also read that I could just use a special cable for a laptop and software. I almost chose that option for my truck and SUV in the past but got a good OBD-II reader instead. I understand that I can use that reader to read Triumph codes because they are standard OBD-II codes but I can't make adjustments with it. From what I've read in the Rocket service manual, some of the checks and adjustments can only be done with one the special Triumph diagnostic tool or the the other tool or cable/software alternatives mentioned above. Since I always do all of my own work, I will get an alternative setup to the Triumph tool but I could use more information and suggestions about which option would be best.

Names of software alternatives that have come up are TuneBoy, TuneECU, etc. I remember reading one post by someone who said the setup with the special cable and using a laptop PC was just as good as using the Triumph diagnostic tool and maybe even better. I don't know if that's true or not.

One other thing: Without digging through the manual again to find where I saw this, I remember reading in the manual that the R3T required the use of a vacuum diagnostic tool for a certain adjustment. The name of the tool had "Indiana" in it. I'm sorry for not having more info about that but it would take a while to find that reference in the manual again. Does anyone know anything about that and if that tool is really necessary or is there an alternative option for that too. If I remember correctly (and I may be wrong) I think it was used to sync the throttle bodies.

Thanks in advance and also thank you folks for all the help and advice you've given this knew R3T owner since I bought the bike.

Yea, ZoneIII - download TuneEcu free for windows or if you are using Android it will cost about $12 from Android Apps - I'm absolutely NOT a computer person & the Android has worked great for me with my stunted abilities - I have read on here that some others that are more able have used both & say the android seems to be much easier to navigate - get the cable from Lonelec.com for about $22.00

Diagnostic Interface for TuneECU Motorbikes

It will come with a free adapter to plug in to phones, tab's, ect.
You can get the cable from Amazon that others have, but some complained that they never could get it to work, even tho they ordered the one with the FTDI chip that is required, then ordered the one from Lonelec.com & it worked fine. so it's a 50/50 chance on that.

And tuneEcu also will give you the ability to balance your throttle bodies that you were asking about, diagnose codes, reset limits, load a different tune to your ECU, ect, ect

EasTexRIII Thank you VERY much! I really appreciate that and it's good news for me. I'll check that out right now. Thanks again!

Yea, ZoneIII - download TuneEcu free for windows or if you are using Android it will cost about $12 from Android Apps - I'm absolutely NOT a computer person & the Android has worked great for me with my stunted abilities - I have read on here that some others that are more able have used both & say the android seems to be much easier to navigate - get the cable from Lonelec.com for about $22.00

I just ordered the cable but I thought of something. I have a cable for my OBD-II reader with a USB adapter that I use to download date to my PC. Will that cable do? Just curious. In any case, I'll let the order go through because it comes with an Android adapter.

I just ordered the cable but I thought of something. I have a cable for my OBD-II reader with a USB adapter that I use to download date to my PC. Will that cable do? Just curious. In any case, I'll let the order go through because it comes with an Android adapter.

The cable HAS TO have an FTDI chip... That Lonelec cable is made for TuneEcu + Triumph :thumbsup:

With the Android, you can also use a wireless bluetooth OBDII adapter as alternative to the cable.

Since I, admittedly am computer challenged, help me understand this please. I thought somewhere it says to Not allow the bluetooth on the Android TuneEcu program? :confused:
Is that Only if you Are using the cable???

Back