Alternative starter motor, in Aus.......

GaryA

Supercharged
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
I have been trying for a while to source the 1.4kW starter motor option.
Thought I had one from a wreckers, but no.
Then I was sure I had another from a wreckers, 2.2l 1996 Toyota Celica with the 5SFE engine, Looked good until I went to change it.
The wiring was to the opposite side of the solenoid.
So where do I get one of these in Australie?

At the risk of being a contrarian, and possibly putting @DEcosse on the spot, I seem to recall a reasoned argument AGAINST arbitrarily increasing to 1.4kW starter motor.

Just recently I was experiencing a challenge with the ignition, so the motor was turning without starting, and I had time to reflect that the motor was turning over quite well. Even though I purchased the higher power replacement and have it on the shelf, I have no motivation to change it.

Or, for far far less than the cost of US-Australia shipping, @GaryA can look in the 'Links' sticky under 'Rocket Resources' and identify a low cost 1.2kW replacement starter for his stock 1.2kw unit.

Good stuff, I have checked out the other threads but am having trouble finding the correct started.
I’m after a 1.4kW unit instead of the 1.2

From what I read on the inexpensive starter replacement thread, the last one I sourced should be correct, but as the wiring is opposite it will not fit.

All I need is the car, make, model and year, in Aus and I’ll be fine.

The 1.4kW starter was available on the 1999 TOYOTA SOLARA 2.2L in the U.S. -- perhaps @Ishrub can cross reference and give you some leads for Australia.

Again, as appealing as a bigger starter sounds, it may not be worth the extra trouble (battery choice more critical, battery cables a factor, possible starting trouble because of the voltage drop).

Thanks Joesmoe, i thought i had cross referenced it correctly, but no.

I already have the larger earth cable thanks to Mittzy, and that helped a lot.

I think ishrub may have sourced the starter from overseas, hopefully we hear from him on this.

Just cause I posted stuff does not mean I have it or have fitted it.;):D I have a spare stock one and a solenoid repair kit from UK and used neither or touched mine yet!

So when you fit the next D4 Cat engine upgrade @Claviger you may need the upgrade versions available from even yours. By reading the special notes re alternates I found that :
  • The standard version for the Aussie equivalent Toyota Camry 4Cyl 2000cc was only 1.2Kw
  • There are stock 1.4 Kw versions for some models; and
  • 1.6Kw upgrades for 4WD or commercial vehicles.
The latter 1.6Kw version is an intriguing PMGR starter which have no field coils like positive-engagement starters do. This means that power is sent directly to the starter armature through the brushes and commutator, meaning less battery power is wasted energizing the field coils and that less heat is generated by the starter as well.

Lots of great info here re starter motors and torque and performance.

The higher torque starters are specifically designed for 16:1 and higher compression ratios and are not really designed for use in your stock or slightly modified street car. You could end up buying too much torque and spending too much money. Although a 200-lb.ft. starter will work fine in any application, your standard small-block engine will only require 160-lb.ft. if the compression ratio is less than 11:1, or 180-lb-ft. if the compression ratio is higher than 11:1. There seems to be a lot of marketing of PMGR starters by kilowatt ratings. Most are advertised between 1.4kw to 2.0kw, but don't be deceived by the kilowatt rating. Two starters sitting side by side and advertising 1.7kw can have different torque specifications.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2005/11/High-Torque-Starters/1281603.html

Back