All of of a sudden no start/ stand safety switch

motolink

Nitrous
Ride
2011 Roadster and 2001 Bonneville
Came out to go for a ride and pushed the starter button and nothing, not a click or sound. Did all the checks, battery, kill switch, clutch in, in neutral, instrument sweep all ok, so I started checking the relays, still no start. I noticed when I pushed the points together in the starter relay the bike started.
Then I was sitting on the bike putting the side stand up and down while pushing the starter button and the starter would throw in and the bike started.
Pulled the stand safety switch off but it’s a sealed unit so it looks like a replacement switch is the answer.

It could be any or the safety interlock switches. Kickstand, clutch, engine on off switch. I would squirt them all down with wd40 and see how it goes.

Jag, the start system was dead and then when I was putting the side stand up and down a few times the starter button kicked in and the motor started so I am guessing I have a faulty stand safety switch.

Jag, the start system was dead and then when I was putting the side stand up and down a few times the starter button kicked in and the motor started so I am guessing I have a faulty stand safety switch.

Mine was acting up last summer. I cut it off and crossed the Brown and Black wires.

I don't recall ever taking off with the stand down in 14 years (well maybe twice) and I don't plan on ever selling it
so I can live without that safety feature.

BONUS: 2 oz less weight = .001 extra HP :cool:

Just a note too that I also had a bad connection in the wire coming off the battery to the ECU that was causing mysterious
shut downs. I would then have to put the stand up and down and eventually get it started to get home.

It took two months to track both issues down after the local dealer gave up on me after a year in the shop and new
wiring harness + a new ECU ($$). :evil::evil::evil:

Bike ran great since then.

No idea how much a switch is - but if it worries you then replace it. Otherwise bridge the wires and be blowed.

I have only been glad of the SS switch once - when the detent spring went and I could not find neutral outside my front gate.

Yes, but couldn’t hurt to squirt them all down.

Back