Airbox Temperature

Bigjaype

I'll eat Sonny's sandwich...
Ride
R1200GS
Hi Guru's...anyone have any idea about how hot the air-box gets?
As I have removed all the bits post my Ramair installation and am using it for storage and to house the remote controller unit.

Problem is, I have had my second remote control unit fail. The first was admittedly a cheapie off eBay but the second was a decent unit used on irrigation pumps on farm equipment. It cost me almost $70 and has stopped responding to the remote even though the power light is lit and the remote light flashes when pushing the buttons.
I'm thinking that maybe the temperature in the air-box may be higher than the capabilities of one the components in the electronics, particularly once the bike is switched off and the heat soak may fry it.
The unit worked fine all the way, switching the bike off when I got home. But the next day, nothing.

What remote?
My keyless control is under the seat - never a problema.
perhaps stick a thermometer in the empty air box?
Have you blocked the large oval hole entering the air box from the engine side?

Doubt it's heat ...........
You possibly have too much current through it
How do you have it connected? Did you tie all your ignition feeds together and having it drive everything?
Std wattage headlights? Any bypass relay?
Other non-std loads?

Doubt it's heat ...........
You possibly have too much current through it
How do you have it connected? Did you tie all your ignition feeds together and having it drive everything?
Std wattage headlights? Any bypass relay?
Other non-std loads?
Thanks for the reply. When I did the keyless ignition, I used a 40 amp relay and wired it's contacts into the loom. This remote unit is only switching the coil of the 40 amp relay, which will be around 80 milliamps or less.

So then this is a remote battery disconnect?
Interesting . . .
EDIT - No, No. I see tis only good for up to 20 amps.
Deppending on what you're wired into, perhaps tis overloading and frying???
Calling Ken @DEcosse . . .
Electrically, it's all good. Hence my question around temperature. I'm using it as remote ignition switch but the switching is done by a separate relay. This only controls the relay coil so current draw is very low. Initially I had a cheap eBay unit which worked for a couple of weeks. This one lasted one weekend.
The strange thing is that it works at the end of a ride, switches the bike off. Next day, nothing. I'm gonna look at trying to monitor the airbox temp after I switch it off to see if there is a temperature soak after the bike is switched off in a confined space (garage).

Back