airbox....finished product

dbutton12

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T
It hasn't had an official road test yet, but I have had it running and I'm glad I put the insulation/sound deadener on the airbox. Prior to this, I ran it and you could hear a thrumming sound, which I could change by placing my hand on the back of the airbox (which is the largest flat sheet of metal on the box). It is normal now, although you do hear a lot more intake noise....kind of hard to tell exactly how much noisier, because inside the shop everything reverberates. I had used this adhesive heat barrier before on floorpans to keep header heat from passing up through to the cabin area, so I know it works as a thermal barrier, but I also wanted it for sound deadening, which it seems to have done OK with. During the initial run, I didn't have the crankcase breather hooked up to the back of the airbox, so the additional dampening provided by the rubber tubing also helps the vibration situation I'm sure. I have more pics posted in the general album with the bearclaw trimmed and installed.

Attachments

• 100_0396.jpg
    100_0396.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_0397.jpg
    100_0397.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_0402.jpg
    100_0402.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 171
Looking good D. And the added bonus of keeping the heat from the intake air is good. Looks like duct board or a product like it?

heatshield

Looking good D. And the added bonus of keeping the heat from the intake air is good. Looks like duct board or a product like it?

It's HP heatshield products from Summit Racing. A 2' X 2' piece is $32. It's only about 1/16 thick and very flexible. Like I said, I've used it before on cars and it works. The adhesive lasts very good also. I sealed all the exposed edges with moulding and weatherstrip adhesive to keep the asbestos/fiberglass strands from fraying and looking like s**t.
It will be a while for my dyno flog because he is still out in Wisconsin racing sleds, but I'll keep you posted on progress.

Yep good looking I suppose if its not quiet enough you could double layer it. Either way I think your on to something here.

Back