kblahetka

Supercharged
Ride
2005 r3
I have triple filters and just cut my bear claw. After cutting the claw I clamped the air temp sensor to the frame pointing down. It now is pressed against the number 2 filter between 1 and 2 about 1/3 of the way from the rear. It is visible from the side of the bike if you know to look for it. I also put the K$N covers on.

My bike seems to have really smoothed out and the popping on decel is gone. Would moving the sensor really have that much impact or is this in my head? It didn't run bad before, it just runs better now.

I know this argument has been done to death, but does anyone really reckon there's much difference in the air temp just outside the filter, and half an inch away just inside the filter????????

Its just fine there. I experimented mounting mine in the end of one of the K&Ns and checked the IAT using a Scangauge I found virtually no difference. The biggest difference I found is that on an R3T with the windshield lowers, the filters are in stagnant air. Removing the lowers reduced the IAT significantly.

I reckon there could be. A fair bit of heat comes off the engine and will be drawn into the filter along with the cooler air rushing past. If the sensor is outside the filter on the engine side it could be sitting in the relatively warm air compared to the inside of the filter. Whether that translates to a noticeable difference in how the bike runs, I don't know.

I reckon there could be. A fair bit of heat comes off the engine and will be drawn into the filter along with the cooler air rushing past. If the sensor is outside the filter on the engine side it could be sitting in the relatively warm air compared to the inside of the filter. .

OK then, where does the air inside the filter come from?? Surely from just outside the filter? Half an inch away?? Why would it be different??

We are talking about IAT sensors mounted just on the outside of the filter, aren't we???? QUOTE ..."pressed against the No. 2 filter....."

OK then, where does the air inside the filter come from?? Surely from just outside the filter? Half an inch away?? Why would it be different??

We are talking about IAT sensors mounted just on the outside of the filter, aren't we???? QUOTE ..."pressed against the No. 2 filter....."

You're probably right. Depends how sensitive the sensor is I guess and how far away from the edge of the filter it's sitting. The air on the engine side of the filter is warmer than the air on the other side. The filter draws air in from all sides; both warmed by the engine and fresh air rushing past so the temp inside the filter isn't necessarily the same temp as where the sensor is sitting. If it's resting against the outside of the filter I would imagine the difference is negligible.

If it was just getting hot air which I assume it was, how would that impact the engine? Would it assume hot air and lean the mix?

Back