Blackthou

Nitrous
Ride
2014 Black 'n' Red R3R. RamAir, Tors, DP Link pipe
I'm thinking of moving away from the stock filter and have a few questions for those that have done so.

Are Ramair and K&Ns the best 2 options and if so which K&N are favoured?

Do they both fit under the Bearclaw as I'd like to retain it for the OEM look?

Do all Ramair systems make the chirping cricket noise?

Is there any real benefit without chnaging the headers? I have a Tors system.

Thanks.

I can't speak for KnNs but I have the RamAir . Only done 2000 mls on it so far with no problems , as for the benefit ? If nothing else , anything has got to be better than the stock airbox ! I have read posts from guys who have had Ramairs break up but I think they since been improved ?
I don't know about individual gains from filter or pipes as mine was fitted along with tors link pipe and pcv together . The difference as a whole was very noticeable but not nearly as much as after I had the bike dynod and tuned , different beast altogether ! I believe it's about as far as can now go performance wise , without changing the headers .
I guess what I'm trying to say is , Ramair or KnN a link pipe , tors and most importantly a good tune , either from @HansO or a dyno tuner , and your rocket will make you fall in love with it all over again !
And the RamAir does fit neatly under the bear claw . :thumbsup:

If you go for the Ramair be careful when drilling/punching out the hole for the IAT sensor. The hole the manufacture has marked off for the IAT sensor is too large. The IAT sensor will not stay put. I don't know how Ramair could over look something so simple but it happened.
I use K&Ns with a small hole cut in the top in the rubber part of the filter in one filter to hold the IAT sensor. Been like that for years.

I couldn't tell much of a difference in performance with just the K&Ns and TORs exhaust. There was some but not what I expected. Now that I went with a Viking Exhaust header and SuperTrapp muffler plus HansO tune..... now that's when I finally could tell a big difference. :D

FYI - I have used all of these.
With TORs and trip K&N 2780s (fit under claw) you can get 25 or more RWHP with a proper tune.
The RamAir improves air flow a little over the K&Ns and also fits under the claw.
The addition of headers (in my case CES) can add another 10 - 15 RWHP (again with a proper tune).

If you go for the Ramair be careful when drilling/punching out the hole for the IAT sensor. The hole the manufacture has marked off for the IAT sensor is too large. The IAT sensor will not stay put. I don't know how Ramair could over look something so simple but it happened.
I use K&Ns with a small hole cut in the top in the rubber part of the filter in one filter to hold the IAT sensor. Been like that for years.

I couldn't tell much of a difference in performance with just the K&Ns and TORs exhaust. There was some but not what I expected. Now that I went with a Viking Exhaust header and SuperTrapp muffler plus HansO tune..... now that's when I finally could tell a big difference. :D

The Ramair comes with the IAT sensor hole already drilled and yes it's .7mm or so too big. They SHOULD supply tape to increase the size of the sensor so it's a snug fit.

When I say "should" I mean they are aware of the problem and the tape is supposed to be in the kit. Mine came without it, was missed in packing.

This is interesting because mine fit the hole just fine.

This is interesting because mine fit the hole just fine.

When speaking to them I got the impression it's only a recent issue, I've only had mine for a month or so. Supposedly there was an issue during manufacture of a batch. Not sure how many filter bases to a batch but I imagine it would be quite a few. Easily rectified with the tape or using a rubber grommet as I did.

I had a case of tinkeritus the other day and resting peacefully in my shed was my Rocket Touring looking at it I was wondering what I could tinker with ,I remembered someone posting about removing the snorkel from the OEM air box so off it came, carefully stored for replacement if required ,instant change to the induction sound and the seat of the pants Dyno says more response at 100Kph roll on , and still stock looking with TORS cross over box)abomination) replacement pipe and remap and dyno tune 46000Ks and running like a Qantas Air bus :inlove

When speaking to them I got the impression it's only a recent issue, I've only had mine for a month or so. Supposedly there was an issue during manufacture of a batch. Not sure how many filter bases to a batch but I imagine it would be quite a few. Easily rectified with the tape or using a rubber grommet as I did.

Thanks for that information. Now I won't have to lift my tank, remove the bear claw and take a look. :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Back