Air Filter replacement.

Rick Morris

"Have you seen Junior's grades?"
Ride
2011 Rocket III Roadster
View media item 10402View media item 10403
I replaced the Air Filters yesterday.The first picture shows the K&N filters. 3 RU-2780 Air filters $32.99 ea, 62-1340 5/8' breather filter $22.99, 62-1360 3/4" breather filter $22.99, and a 99-5000 oil/cleaner kit $11.99 all purchased at Auto Zone for a total of $156.94 My advice is to buy two of the 62-1340 5/8" it fits the Air Temp sensor much better than the 3/4" filter. The other shows the secondaries removed. I have not tuned the bike yet. I have had issues with either my computer or a bad cable. But I will say this, what an unbelievable difference this has made to the bike. I am going to put the secondaries back on today to see what the difference in performance is with just the air filters. I am thinking that a K&N under seat filter and removing the secondaries may be the only thing that really needs to be done. But I am not kidding when I say this a completely different bike now. I cant wait to get the correct tune in the bike. My concern is I may be running too lean with the new air filters. I posted a bunch of pictures and description on the Triumph Rocket III Owners Group FB page, it was a little faster and easier to upload pictures. Overall this is an easy upgrade. on a scale of 1-10 of tech skills I put it at around a 4. The computer crap is what screws me up.

Think you'll find that removing secondaries has a greater impact on the a:f than the filters. But I agree that both are worthwhile mods. Under seat K&N, by the way, does very little other than give you a filter you can clean and re-oil. Pretty much a waste of time and any savings take years to realise.

Depending on the tune you upload the secondaries being in or out won't make a difference. But if you don't remove them via tune, definitely remove them manually! I did both and very happy for years now.
You might have gotten a better price from flippmeister; I only mention that for guys who read this and go the same route ;)
I didn't use the filter on my air temp sensor. I extended the wires, put the original grommet in the neck of my filters and installed the sensor in the number 2. Of course I'm using the 1770s where that's an option :) but requires claw modification.
Can't imagine owning the bike without this mod anymore...great job!!

I am extremely happy with the results thus far. The power is completely different (more) and the throttle response is so much faster. I already loved the stock power in this bike, now I am having an affair with it. If it wasn't raining I would be terrorizing the tourists on the Cape today.

I am extremely happy with the results thus far. The power is completely different (more) and the throttle response is so much faster. I already loved the stock power in this bike, now I am having an affair with it. If it wasn't raining I would be terrorizing the tourists on the Cape today.
You probably are too lean. With Jardines, triple K&N's, and the old stock TOR tune, my A/F was 15:1.

You probably are too lean. With Jardines, triple K&N's, and the old stock TOR tune, my A/F was 15:1.
I am afraid I may have a lean condition. I have got to get this bike hooked up to the TuneECU program and get it dialed in.

I am afraid I may have a lean condition. I have got to get this bike hooked up to the TuneECU program and get it dialed in.

With my PCIII I used the MAP for D&D 3:2, no air box and triple K&N's.... Running lean as I'm getting popping on decel. I'm going to run it a few days and see if improves. If no improvement will give TuneEcu a shot.

I have discovered a glaring flaw in my pursuit of additional torque and horse power, I am going to need to buy a new rear tire sooner rather than later.

Hi Rick

I had those air filters and have recently changed them out for the attached below, only because I saw it on another bike and liked the look. Since fitting them, I got sick, then it has rained nearly every day since, so no ride yet, not expecting much difference tho (other than free water injection some days;)).

Don't be too worried about the computer thing even though its seems daunting at first, I was nervous originally when I hooked up Tune ECU but after reading the instructions and studying the program connected to the bike (and not dicking around with anything) for a while I became comfortable with it.

Uploading and downloading tunes is quite easy, when I have done this I just check them against other similar tunes (there's a compare function) to make sure there are no glaring differences in the maps. Its the modification AND the tune that really give the benefit. I have a D&D (getting a header system soon also) and use map "20050Map TORSTRIPLE no O2" but you need to remove and plug the o2 sensor otherwise I think you stuff it.

Good luck
20150801_104809.jpg

Back