Aging road racer. Used to race triumph 650s highly modified. Interested in rocket 2010 mods power

Ricwal

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket three roadster 2010
Interested in any mods that will increase power weight loss and handling. So far. Deltran 480cca loses11 pounds. Removed butterflies from throttle bodies. Power better above 5000 in high gears. Would lie to lose exhaust system weight an a reliable retune to go with it.

Welcome mate , im only learning myself so im no expert , more a interested tinkerer , seems intake , exhaust and a good ECU map can make very decent power gains on the Rocket.
Im sure some other members will be along soon and share their knowledge with you , here's a good starting point

http://www.carpenterracing.com/sbp_TRIII.htm

Welcome to the forums.

You'll find there is a lot of power left untapped in the stock setup.
The first thing I suggest is go get a TuneECU cable from amazon, and install the tune from the TuneECU modified triumph tunes called R3R_Slip, it will give you full power in gears 1-3 (at the moment yours is likely restricted).
Check out Reband and CES for exhaust, there are others, and there is a lot on this board about all of them including dynos for most.
Weight loss is like any other bike, the first 20-30 lb are easy, after that requires creativity or money for the most part.
You could get taller shocks in the back, not terribly expensive and will add some ground clearance as well as provide preload/rebound adjustment.

Interested in any mods that will increase power weight loss and handling. So far. Deltran 480cca loses11 pounds. Removed butterflies from throttle bodies. Power better above 5000 in high gears. Would lie to lose exhaust system weight an a reliable retune to go with it.
Very familiar with carpenter. Personal friend in Montreal worked for him four years Has only raves. He's dead honest very competent and shop in New Jerseyis full of Rocket modified parts. His pipe alone with tune is worth 160 to 165HP. Carpenter says basically anything you do to Rocket works well but obviously one mod is held back by other obstructions to flow and power

Welcome to the forums.

You'll find there is a lot of power left untapped in the stock setup.
The first thing I suggest is go get a TuneECU cable from amazon, and install the tune from the TuneECU modified triumph tunes called R3R_Slip, it will give you full power in gears 1-3 (at the moment yours is likely restricted).
Check out Reband and CES for exhaust, there are others, and there is a lot on this board about all of them including dynos for most.
Weight loss is like any other bike, the first 20-30 lb are easy, after that requires creativity or money for the most part.
You could get taller shocks in the back, not terribly expensive and will add some ground clearance as well as provide preload/rebound adjustment.
Thanks. Have cable. If staying stock. The tors mufflers give about 30 hp with tune increase redline and lose weight. Cheap and reliable just about 10 hp less than Reband. Thanks

Welcome mate , im only learning myself so im no expert , more a interested tinkerer , seems intake , exhaust and a good ECU map can make very decent power gains on the Rocket.
Im sure some other members will be along soon and share their knowledge with you , here's a good starting point

http://www.carpenterracing.com/sbp_TRIII.htm
Thanks. Like the quote. Australians are quite serious about R3 ride but not too public or commercial about their exploits. Hard to find and prices high for a montrealer. Want to try easy mods this year sai tune website doesn't give price or discuss effect of their y pipe. Harley's have a good sound with essentially straight pipes. Why doe no one try or use three straight pipes for the rocket with similar muffling to Harley's. Does an ecu tune exist? Does it work well. Anyone have a sound bite out there?

Triples sound pretty raw using straight pipe. Not really a good sound, it's loud, it's deep, it's an angry sound, but not particularly a good sound. It is also WAAAAAAAY louder than Hardlys are with straight pipe. My little 955 'Tona can drown out any vtwin when I pull the can off it, easily, its C R A Z Y loud and makes the brain rattle around (literally, I can feel ****e vibrating in my dome).

3 Single pipes are not such a great idea, you will lose a ton of torque as a result of the loss of pulse tuning, aka torque scavenging. People have done it, I have never seen a dyno from a bike running 3 single pipes, but I am pretty confident that it will have worse low end torque than stock and better top end hp.

The easiest recipe for budget tuning seems to be:
K&N underclaw triple filters
Cat/Resonator box delete using the Staintune or Triumph part to remove the useless little box.
TOR/D&D/Some other open slip ons.
Dyno time.

I would expect to see no less than 140whp/155wtq with those changes.

Last edited:
Triples sound pretty raw using straight pipe. Not really a good sound, it's loud, it's deep, it's an angry sound, but not particularly a good sound. It is also WAAAAAAAY louder than Hardlys are with straight pipe. My little 955 'Tona can drown out any vtwin when I pull the can off it, easily, its C R A Z Y loud and makes the brain rattle around (literally, I can feel ****e vibrating in my dome).

3 Single pipes are not such a great idea, you will lose a ton of torque as a result of the loss of pulse tuning, aka torque scavenging. People have done it, I have never seen a dyno from a bike running 3 single pipes, but I am pretty confident that it will have worse low end torque than stock and better top end hp.

The easiest recipe for budget tuning seems to be:
K&N underclaw triple filters
Cat/Resonator box delete using the Staintune or Triumph part to remove the useless little box.
TOR/D&D/Some other open slip ons.
Dyno time.

I would expect to see no less than 140whp/155wtq with those changes.
Thanks You answered my question about the sound and I expected torque loss with no collector. Question. How long were the pipes. Roughly speaking a 40 inch pipe tunes at 4000 to7000 A 60 inch tunes 2500 to 5500. That is the kind of length that would have to be tried to be useful but is very long.
Everyone talks about three individual k and n filters but not too many dyno figures. Must be a lot of intake noise
Another point. Our rockets
Have secondaries that start to close at 4500 and are almost closed at 5500. This is in fourth gear where everyone does their testing. The beast is intentionally choked in 4th and fifth gear so that dyno figures are kept down along with top speed Look at the ECU tables

Good that you are finding these things, but most of the guys tuning have long since resolved the secondaries by either removing them or keeping them 100% open via ECU control.

The triple intakes/ram-air/piper-cross etc are proven to make power. Not like import cars, or hardleys, or even most K&N drop in filters, they do work on the R3 and there are dyno on the forums to prove it, so it's money well spent.

As far as the exhaust lenght/diameter/collector type etc, I have long since given up doing the math and mental antics myself, and have simply watched what people are producing. From the dynos available you will find there is a set that exists to cover all bases. You can get huge low end torque with a certian brand, a good balance of low end torque and top end hp, or an anemic bottom with crazy top end with another company. They are all out there already, just take some time to peruse the forums here.

Back