Aftermarket panniers question

V8villan

.020 Over
Hi all

As a rough guide when fitting after market panniers to a R3R what distance should there be between the bottom of the pannier and the exhaust to ensure the the bottom of the pannier doesn't touch the exhaust when the suspension is under compression during bumpy road conditions

Advice much appreciated

Cheers

Carl

Guess that would depend on what sort of pannier/saddlebag you were going to fit. My Triumph leather bags just about touch the muffler on my bike and never caused me any problems. Hard panniers be a different story.

Someone on a T-Bird site has Road King Classic bags with EZ Brackets on his T-Bird. They are huge bags. Any bags that fit over the older 3 muffler R3's should fit on a Roadster. What bags are you considering?

I have Corbin Beatle Bags with only a half inch or less between them and the pipes. Corbin put reflective heat tape on the bottom. 6 years no problems.

Hi all

As a rough guide when fitting after market panniers to a R3R what distance should there be between the bottom of the pannier and the exhaust to ensure the the bottom of the pannier doesn't touch the exhaust when the suspension is under compression during bumpy road conditions

Advice much appreciated

Cheers

Carl

The distance between the bags and exhaust is constant as they are both hanging from the frame.
Only the swing arm/wheel is moving.

These are my K-Drive's, they are supposed to have 80mm gap - mine are far less as you can see. Been on for quite a while without any problems and as Mittzy says, they run very hot due to the cat being in the muffler.

cheers all for the replies

for some reason my head wasn't computing that the distance remains constant as mentioned previously.

I managed to get the Hardstreet bags to fit the R3R so will post a few pics shortly

thanks again

These are my K-Drive's, they are supposed to have 80mm gap - mine are far less as you can see. Been on for quite a while without any problems and as Mittzy says, they run very hot due to the cat being in the muffler.

I had those on my 2005 Rocket. A bit higher to fit over the top muffler on the right side. I thought they were out of business. Where and when did you get them?

Back