Aftermarket oil filters.

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
Sorry if this has been brought up before but a quick search didn't find it.

Does anyone have any oil filter numbers for high-quality aftermarket filters commonly available? (I have a 2015 R3T but I would assume all R3's use the same oil filter.) I know the oil filter the R3 uses is used on many bikes and probably cars too. In fact, it's almost the exact size of the filter my Honda Pilot uses. Anyway, does anyone have any Fram, Mobil, or other brand name filter numbers for the R3T?

Thanks.

Mobil-1 M1-108 for me. or the M1-110 if you want a longer one, but the chrome protector cover will not cover the last inch of it.

Hey! Thanks! I just ran across a recommendation for the same two filters in another thread on a completely different topic. Thanks again!

Sure, I use the 108 because with regular changing & using the high quality synthetic oil the extra inch of filter is not necessary & the cover for it is there for a reason, so even tho highly unlikely that the uncovered part would get damage, why chance it....... If it could happen, it would happen to ME :eek:

Does anyone have any oil filter numbers for high-quality aftermarket filters commonly available?

Thanks.

A manufacturer and part number is insufficient. A few companies make most of the filters. The end cap was changed on a large number of filters and they won't seal properly on the R3. You have to look before buying unless you want a leak....

Attachments

• Purolator Oil Filter Differences.jpg
    Purolator Oil Filter Differences.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Sure, I use the 108 because with regular changing & using the high quality synthetic oil the extra inch of filter is not necessary & the cover for it is there for a reason, so even tho highly unlikely that the uncovered part would get damage, why chance it....... If it could happen, it would happen to ME :eek:

That's exactly my thinking. I'm old school and I just bring myself to go along with the high-mileage oil changes that are recommended and I switched to high-quality switched to high-quality full synthetic oils many years ago. In the past, I stuck to the old rule-of-thumb of changing oil and filter ever 3,000 miles but lately I sometimes go longer but never more than 5,000. I don't care what anyone says to the contrary. So, like you, I see no need for the longer filter but, as you say, I know only a virtually unnoticeable part of the filter would show with it. (I read about that in another thread.) If I went with the high mileage oil change recommedations I would but I just can't bring myself to the recommended intervals. :)

A manufacturer and part number is insufficient. A few companies make most of the filters. The end cap was changed on a large number of filters and they won't seal properly on the R3. You have to look before buying unless you want a leak....

Sign in - Google Accounts
Good point. Yes, I am aware that just a few companies make most oil filters but a part number should be sufficient because, if they change the seal, etc., it wouldn't work on any of the many vehicles that use that filter. That would be a critical error on the manufacturer's part and they would be sued so they would do everything to avoid that. Also, in 50 years of working on all cars, trucks, and motorcycles, I have never once seen an oil filter differ as you describe from another filter by the same manufacturer with the same part number. It sounds like you have, though. That said, I always compare new filters to the one I take off to make sure they are the same even when the manufacturer and number are the same. I've always changed my own oil on every vehicle I've owned since my first car in 1966 and I've never had a single leak or problem. To show how far I go back, I remember filters that went into a metal cannister with a bolt holding it on. :) I've also owned cars with oil bath filters.

The mistake I've know people to make is not checking to make sure the seal came off with the old filter. That will definitely cause a leak if it isn't removed from the flange on the block.

Hey! Thanks! I just ran across a recommendation for the same two filters in another thread on a completely different topic. Thanks again!
K&N KN204 is what I use

Is there something special about the KN204 filter that make it worth the high price? Just curious. Also, does the nut on end allow the oil filter cover to go on all the way? I'm not sure that I've seen KN filters in the stores but I usually have my wife pick filters up at big box stores for me so I might have missed them.

Back