sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
OK it is my understanding that you need a power commander hooked up if you plan on running the aftermarket cams from the man in the tin shed. This way you can get the **** thing dyno with out any issues. Correct so far or are we all Fuc3ed up? Other question is do you leave the power commander hooked up after the dyno and run as is or download dyno tune to Tune ECU and remove the power commander? Really would like a simple plain English explanation. Getting irritated because am am use to Harley's with a power vision. Much simpler system.

OK it is my understanding that you need a power commander hooked up if you plan on running the aftermarket cams from the man in the tin shed. This way you can get the **** thing dyno with out any issues. Correct so far or are we all Fuc3ed up? Other question is do you leave the power commander hooked up after the dyno and run as is or download dyno tune to Tune ECU and remove the power commander? Really would like a simple plain English explanation. Getting irritated because am am use to Harley's with a power vision. Much simpler system.

@sonny , if you are using drop in cams, id suspect there is a tuneecu file available. Id suggest asking Neville. And @Joesmoe recently installed some of his cams.

Power Commanders are certainly more well practiced in more shops, but id think youd still need a tunecu base tune to get ignition timing right for the cams you are using.

Regarding leaving the power commander on the bike....if its tuned via a tunecu base map and the fueling trimmed with the power commander leave it in place. No reason to pull it. There very reliable, can be tuned while running (unlike tunecu).

My impression is they use a PC3 to facilitate dyno. Then overlay new tune to Tune Ecu and pull the unit. My question is why not use a PC5 and leave it in place after dyno. We all know that Tune ECU is history. Not on top of the differences between a PC3 vice a PC5 but will shortly after doing some homework. I use a Power Vision on the Harley and like it a lot. Still use the diagnostics on Tune Ecu but leave the PC5 installed and run it. Am i off track or does this make sense?

My impression is they use a PC3 to facilitate dyno. Then overlay new tune to Tune Ecu and pull the unit. My question is why not use a PC5 and leave it in place after dyno. We all know that Tune ECU is history. Not on top of the differences between a PC3 vice a PC5 but will shortly after doing some homework. I use a Power Vision on the Harley and like it a lot. Still use the diagnostics on Tune Ecu but leave the PC5 installed and run it. Am i off track or does this make sense?
SO as NEV has said in the past are you expecting about a 15 HP improvement using his cams ?

I am looking at improving low end and mid range torque. Granted it will improve HP but not that concerned about that.

@sonny , if you are using drop in cams, id suspect there is a tuneecu file available. Id suggest asking Neville. And @Joesmoe recently installed some of his cams.

Power Commanders are certainly more well practiced in more shops, but id think youd still need a tunecu base tune to get ignition timing right for the cams you are using.
What if you bought and installed the Powercommander V and the ignition module drop a canned tune then take bike to a experienced dnyo operator. Would that work? Your only looking at about $700.00 for both units and This way your basically free from Tune ECU.

Last edited:
I am looking at improving low end and mid range torque. Granted it will improve HP but not that concerned about that.
My guess, mate, is that that "Man in a Shed" @Neville Lush knows what's a good start with his cams. Yes, OK, he's an antipodean, but we can't all be from the Northern Hemisphere. ;)

Going to a Dyno chappie afterwards can only be good. Even if it's just to know what you have!.

I'm with you - Fit a PCV and leave it in. If you feel brave enough to play with ignition too - good for you. But I would consult the shed-master first. I think there is a new PCV with ignition built in too.

btw - I AM JEALOUS.

Was typing while you were posting. The PCV with the built in ignition is not offered for our bikes but they do sell the ignition module separate.

Anybody running the Power commander V and a ignition module on their bike and if so what is your opinion of this combo? Looks to me to be a win win combo. Find a good dyno tuner and give them all the tools to work with. Could be wrong on this but it makes sense to me. Any input would be appreciated.

Back