After a decade in storage, not getting fuel. Any ideas?

JackMcCornack

.020 Over
Ride
2004 Triumph Rocket III
First of all, it's not the fuel that was left in it; I drained the old fuel by removing the fuel pump from the bottom of the tank, and replace it with fresh gas.

It cranks fine, has good spark (it vroomed nicely when I gave it a shot of starting fluid in the airbag, but quit immediately after), but no fuel I can detect.

It's a 2005 Rocket III, the grey engine version, it ran fine circa 2008 when I ran it last. Other than new fuel and a new battery, it had nothing done to it while it was sitting; the tank was off so it isn't a bad fuel issue.

I'd love to hear some insight from more experienced riders and wrenches.

Attachments

• 20200807_173000.jpg
    20200807_173000.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 31
My son experienced this with a bike he bought that was sitting for 4 years. Turned out to be the gas turned to gunk and clogged up the fuel pump in the tank. Also gunked up the tank pretty good. You will need to take the tank off and open up the bottom. Gently wiggle out the pump / filter assembly. Try to clean it and get it working. If it wont work it will have to be replaced. Clean out the tank while you have it open because if you don't the gunk will come loose after a while and clog it all up again. While you are in there replace the filter too. Mahle KL145 is the filter to get. About $18 to $20 bucks on-line. Do not waist time / money by trying any other substitute filters.

The ONLY answer to gasoline powered machines that sit is to drain them.

The Air Force and Smithsonian Air & Space Museums have extensive collections of gasoline powered vehicles, and similar restoration policies that at the end, the item must run and never fly, and they go through a rigorous process of removing fuel - almost like embalming.

My own experience with snow blowers, generators, lawn mowers, and similar, after years of frustration, the only workable practice is to completely drain. After adopting that practice - few problems.

The ONLY answer to gasoline powered machines that sit is to drain them.

The Air Force and Smithsonian Air & Space Museums have extensive collections of gasoline powered vehicles, and similar restoration policies that at the end, the item must run and never fly, and they go through a rigorous process of removing fuel - almost like embalming.

My own experience with snow blowers, generators, lawn mowers, and similar, after years of frustration, the only workable practice is to completely drain. After adopting that practice - few problems.
Especially now. Gas doesn't hold up like it did 30 years ago.

There's not a speck of fuel coming out of the fuel pump, I loosened the fuel outlet bolt on the tank, and my current suspicion is there's no power going to the fuel pump ("current suspicion," har har). There are four electrical connections that plug into the fuel pump module, I trust that two power the pump and two go to the fuel gauge sender

Back