Adopted a friend for my Rocket III Roadster

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
I've always had a desire to get into some more adventure touring stuff where you can keep going even when the road ends, and this bike fits the bill. Just picked up this 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, has tons of amazing goodies! Cruise Control, ABS, Traction Control, Rider Modes, Heated Grips, Electronic Suspension and Spring Adjustment, Hard Bags, Crash Bars, 3 STage LED Fog Lamps and other goodies! I absolutely love the sound of the Inline Twin 1200, very V-Twin Sounding with the 270 degree crank. Looking forward to riding it next Spring!! Anyone else here have a second bike?

photo.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Something has always attracted me to the Super Tenere....but were I to get an adventure bike I reckon I would have to choose between that, and the Tiger Explorer!

nice bike,but if you take it off road ,stick a new bash plate on,if yours has the plastic one on,get rid of it,big rocks with kill the front of the engine,i think the oil filter is there.
good luck.

congratulations, very good choice.. :) yoshimura can, skid plate (a must have!), and you are good to go. that 270° crankshaft sound is pretty addictive.

how do you like the throttle by wire response? I had SuperTen for few weeks this year, and I must say I was positively surprised in most aspects. For sure this is the first bike ever where I had no eminent need to change the seating.. :) I am going to get 2017 new after winter, I like the color scheme of 2017 a lot better. Hope they will not screw the price, it costs list 12k Euros (15k the ES model), and I can deduct 20% VAT which is pretty solid price for bike like this one in Europe.

r3.jpg

I had a 2012 Super Ten for 3 years. Very reliable, super comfy, and can do many things. I purchased it as a dual sport bike to take off road too. The reason I sold it because it kinda sucked going off road with it. Actually it REALLY sucked. It was fine for gravel or hard pack, but if the going gets soft or sandy or muddy, you will be VERY disappointed. The thing is 600 lbs, and feels like 900 lbs on any kind of real off road area. I got tired of wrestling with it every time I went on the trails. Not that it is a bad bike in any way. Just don't drink the off-road kool aid the ad hype pushes! The current big ADV bikes are dressed up like dirt bikes, but the reality is quite different. I replaced it with a Honda XR650L.....the Big Red Pig! It is a true dual sport, not as road worthy as the S 10, but off road is no contest. Keep that S 10 on the road, and you will be VERY happy with it.

Good point: gravel road is what equals to "off-road" in my head when talking this category of bikes. Say "roads without asphalt surface". No bike of this size is good for true off road, sand, forest, mud, etc - no question about it. Not saying that off road riding in public areas is illegal in my country and I believe most of European Union..

E.g. my intention is to make this one my commuter / everyday bike replacing Majesty 400 scooter. After long reviewing I picked Yamaha just because is comfy, can deal light "off road" and for the Yamaha reliability. I can confirm - having the Yamaha scooter for 8 years / 28.000 km without a single issue.

back to S10.. the sound..

Something has always attracted me to the Super Tenere....but were I to get an adventure bike I reckon I would have to choose between that, and the Tiger Explorer!

I did so much research and test rode almost every other ADV bike out there except for the BMW because It is out of my price range, but what I can tell you is that the Tiger Explorer is hella expensive and it's a monster of a bike with its weight up high. Although I will admit that its power delivery was absolutely awesome, quite a rush.. I really liked it! But it's more sport bike then anything else, like a dressed up Speed Triple... Not my thing.

nice bike,but if you take it off road ,stick a new bash plate on,if yours has the plastic one on,get rid of it,big rocks with kill the front of the engine,i think the oil filter is there.
good luck.

I do plan on adding a few things like the bash plate for sure, although I don't plan on riding too much off road.

congratulations, very good choice.. :) yoshimura can, skid plate (a must have!), and you are good to go. that 270° crankshaft sound is pretty addictive.

how do you like the throttle by wire response? I had SuperTen for few weeks this year, and I must say I was positively surprised in most aspects. For sure this is the first bike ever where I had no eminent need to change the seating.. :) I am going to get 2017 new after winter, I like the color scheme of 2017 a lot better. Hope they will not screw the price, it costs list 12k Euros (15k the ES model), and I can deduct 20% VAT which is pretty solid price for bike like this one in Europe.

r3.jpg

The bike has great throttle response! You can change the driving mode from S to T for Sport to Touring and it softens the initial jerk dramatically, allowing for a super smooth transition from on/off throttle. Great for taking a passenger or for bad weather. In S mode, it REALLY is very responsive! As far as the price goes, the ES model is very expensive... I made it a goal to find a used one.

I've been looking at that one, and the Tiger Explorer. I want an adventure bike sooooooo badly.

Test ride them all before deciding, the Explorer is sweet but really expensive and not really as well though out as the Yamaha in my opinion but thats just personal preference. I was very close to buying one until I saw and heard the Tenere's awesome 270 degree crank.. what a gorgeous sound!

I had a 2012 Super Ten for 3 years. Very reliable, super comfy, and can do many things. I purchased it as a dual sport bike to take off road too. The reason I sold it because it kinda sucked going off road with it. Actually it REALLY sucked. It was fine for gravel or hard pack, but if the going gets soft or sandy or muddy, you will be VERY disappointed. The thing is 600 lbs, and feels like 900 lbs on any kind of real off road area. I got tired of wrestling with it every time I went on the trails. Not that it is a bad bike in any way. Just don't drink the off-road kool aid the ad hype pushes! The current big ADV bikes are dressed up like dirt bikes, but the reality is quite different. I replaced it with a Honda XR650L.....the Big Red Pig! It is a true dual sport, not as road worthy as the S 10, but off road is no contest. Keep that S 10 on the road, and you will be VERY happy with it.

No worries for me, I don't plan on riding it off road at all really. My issue is where I live we have terrible road conditions due to winter, cracked roads, pot holes.. construction, it's very common where I live and since I like to do a lot of riding out in the country side, these gravel roads appear out of nowhere with pretty severe up and down hills that the Rocket simply cannot safely navigate. This bike is for me and my wife to travel on together on the road with comfort, being able to adjust the suspension to be soft absorb the crappy road conditions is a huge plus for us... the Rocket is very stiff and I'd rather leave it as a fun bike for when I ride alone!

Good point: gravel road is what equals to "off-road" in my head when talking this category of bikes. Say "roads without asphalt surface". No bike of this size is good for true off road, sand, forest, mud, etc - no question about it. Not saying that off road riding in public areas is illegal in my country and I believe most of European Union..

E.g. my intention is to make this one my commuter / everyday bike replacing Majesty 400 scooter. After long reviewing I picked Yamaha just because is comfy, can deal light "off road" and for the Yamaha reliability. I can confirm - having the Yamaha scooter for 8 years / 28.000 km without a single issue.

back to S10.. the sound..

I think I prefer the sound of the Arrow sound system, it seems a lot more growly and with a deeper voice

Back