Add lights to the rear -- how to identify the wires ?

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
2014 Touring with ABS

Want to add the Add-More light kit I purchased for the Givi 55 top case, and the lights are set up to provide separate turn, tail, and brake lights.

I have the shop manual, and the issue is that following the wires forward to where they pass the threshold of the rear fender, I have cut into the four sets, and except for ground (black), and tail (yellow), none of the other wires follow the color coding in the manual.

Has someone (@Bedifferent , @DEcosse , @cr0ft ) figured out which is which, or do I have to go in and brute force this ?

Thank you.

Brake Light is Blue, Running Light is Red and Black is Ground.

Be careful with the rear turn signals - the Plus and Minus can often be reversed but there appears to be no constant there, some are some aren't.
If you are installing LEDs, it will matter - if bulbs, then won't.
You are only going to need one wire for the turns (the positive), using the ground for the tail light
So hook the turns up temporarily and if they don't work, swap to the other wire from the OEM signals
(the alternative is to just look at the connector interface for the signals and see which colour wire corresponds to the Green/White and Green/Red in the signal harness)

Thank you. I would like to use the mating connector you suggested to add an accessory socket on my Touring for the OEM clock, to mimic the one found on the Classic.

@DEcosse Is one of the Tyco connectors the one I need to mate with the OEM clock connector, please ?

For the Add-more lights, I need a five-wire connection: left and right turn, brake, tail, ground.

Last edited:
Tail_wiring.jpg
Well sure, but that doesn't correspond to the OEM config - if you want to do that (making it plug n play) you will still need a set Male/female of the OEM 3-way, plus the two 2-ways plus another 5-way of your own choosing (5's are rare so you would go with a 6-way and just leave one blank.)
It really depends on whether you want to keep the OEM main harness connectors std (which is understandable) - my preference is typically to try to keep the main harness intact, but don't mind changing the device connectors (i.e. the actual tail light or actual turns)
If you also want to keep the OEM devices original you need extra set of connectors and make up some 'go-between' adapters;
simpler just to replace the terminals in the device connectors and you can double up original and new wires into the device connector
OR you just use PosiTaps on the Device wires and taken the either directly to the wires for the new aux lamps or better to an intermediate connector;
I think you definitely want an intermediate connector on the box, so that when you want to remove it, can simply unplug it.

Thank you. I would like to use the mating connector you suggested to add an accessory socket on my Touring for the OEM clock, to mimic the one found on the Classic.

@DEcosse Is one of the Tyco connectors the one I need to mate with the OEM clock connector, please ?
I'm not sure @Joesmoe - would need to see a picture of it (or just compare it to the image on the Corsa site) - I think it is, but would need to see it to be 100%
Note that Tyco/Amp series is the same as the one used for the alarm connector and also the bar-switch connectors (although later models used the same type of connector as the key-switch for the bar switches)

Thank you so much for engaging.

The Add-more kit comes with a barrel 5-pin connector at the interface of the box -- so that is easy. I suppose I'll use Posi-taps to make the five connections on the bike side.

And I was hoping to add a single three-pin connector to the harness for the clock. I suspect Triumph was thinking, "We gave you a digital clock -- no one will ever buy the analog version."

Back