accessory wiring help please

camccardell

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic Tourer
I would like to add a relay and wire some accessories thru it. I want the relay to only be active when the bike is on, running, or in accessory mode on the ignition switch.
What is a good place to tap into that?

I have some speakers on my handle bars as well as a usb charger, but even with the bike off, these will slowly drain the battery even with nothing running. I think putting them behind a relay is the best option.

Thanks again

Chris

If you don't have heated grips, use the switch to power up your stuff when engine is running. You could also run a wire off the running light and then you would have power automatically when key is turned on. Not an expert but this is what I would do. There is a minimum of power pulled by a relay.

If you use the park light circuit (yellow) as your relay control that will allow your accessories to be live if you have key in the 'on' but also 'park' position of the key - latter is useful if you want those speakers or charger powered without having to turn on ignition

The yellow wire? Like the one for the tiny bulbs in the headlights?

Those have no power going to them when the switch is in park

Last edited:
Switch needs to go all the way anti-clockwise PAST the Lock position

2 is OFF
3 is ON
4 IS LOCK
5 is PARK

key-switch.png

Last edited:
You have a fault then.

If your bars are locked the yellow circuit should have no power. If you take the key one click over onto "park" then it should be live with the running light and tail light lit.

You have a fault then.

If your bars are locked the yellow circuit should have no power. If you take the key one click over onto "park" then it should be live with the running light and tail light lit.

I appreciate the effort guys. I cannot get the key to go past lock. Maybe that is the problem? The top of the switch is worn clean, so no pictures or decals to look at.
I'm trying to find out why it wont work.

Back