accessory warranty

HellFire

Legend
I just had the right heated hand grip fail on me. I bought the triumph kit from my dealer last fall and installed it myself. Of course I looked into it and diagnosed the failure to be either the wire just as it disapears into the grip or the heater element within the grip since it has power to that point.
Question is ... I haven't had any warranty issues as of yet with accessories and I was wondering what to expect when I call them tuesday.
Anyone had a similar issue? Is a "right heated handgrip" available from triumph as a replacement part or just the complete kit?
The ideal situation would be that they order the part and I pay for it when it comes in, take it home and install it, then bring it back for a warranty refund. (never happen)
Or do they replace things like that under warranty themselvs?
What are your experiences?:confused:

I think the warranty is longer if the dealer installed the accessory before the actual delivery of the bike (two years?). If it is installed after delivery I believe it has a one year warranty (dealer installed). If it is installed by the owner...you better look for the paperwork and see what it says. I have a bad feeling that the heated grips will probably come as a set...hope I'm wrong, but......

Dennis

43 dtg Dubai
44 dtg Home

I can definetely say if it was installed by dealer prior to delivery to the customer that it is indeed covered by warranty the full 2 yrs if thats what the bike has. Other than that I do not know.

mutt

Daryl you're a genius with an uncanny grasp of the obvious ... Thanks. :p
90 days or 1 year, thats pretty much what I was thinking. I'll find out today when I call the dealer. It would be typical of this day and age to only be able to get parts like this as a whole kit rather than individual parts.

I read the warranty T&Cs last night; mainly interested in what they had to say about things like chains and sprockets. According to the book, genuine Triumph accessories installed by the dealer are covered under the factory warranty.

On a related topic, here's a little tidbit for anyone considering after market stuff. Depending on what it is, it may void your warranty should Triumph choose to do so. Additionally, let's say you have a left spring go kapoot while the bike is under warranty, but you have after market hard bags attached and, just as an example, they happen to take 1 hour each to take off and another hour to re-install after replacing the spring. The 2 hours labor for taking the bag off and putting it back on will not be covered under the warranty.

Also, the battery has a 90 day warranty. Things like bulbs, chains, etc... (useage items) are not covered under the warranty unless there's a defect in the item.

"Hello Peter, I'd like to file a warranty claim. The oil in my bike turned black after 5000 miles and I'd like you guys to change it under warranty". :D

Back