accessory "silencers" vs stock cans

och2pot

.040 Over
I swapped the louder "accessory" cans back to the standard ones to see what difference there was to the noise. Maybe 25% quieter, but while doing the job I found the standard cans are 4kg heavier (each) than the loud cans, at approx 12kg compared to 8kg for the loud ones, and I guess that must be the cat. You can see straight through the loud cans when holding up to the light , they seem to have a slightly angled perforated pipe inside, about 35mm dia right through, so unlikely there's a cat in there?. You can't see through the standard cans .
So as I've got the map loaded for the loud cans i'll just swap them round at will, when I need to be quieter.

It would be good to find a lighter set still though, all that weight at the rear end must affect the handling. A pity Foran are on the other side of the planet....

I picked up a 13 lb savings on my Thunderbird when I replaced the stock silencers with British Custom's "Hog Slayers".

With the touted increase in torque what is a 12kg difference? A: Two twelve packs in the bags or doing without:D
I went to a loud set-up but Im considering toning it back to stock bolognee cans. Without a doubt the power increase was measurable. Im melting off my darkside faster. But the noise difference is also measureable. I cant hear the wind as well.

The standard triple pipes even without the under bike cat weighed a ton by themselvs ... I can't imagin how much the roadster duals with built in cats have to weigh. :eek:
Still, weight issues are moot on these bikes and I LOVE the way the roadster factory monsters look. When a used set of roadster TORs come along, I'm a buyer just as long as they look like the stock pipes and work like the old triple TORs.
I still have a set of stock triples along with the cat for sale cheap, as much as they weigh I'll bet the shipping will cost as much or more than I'm willing to sell them for. OH< and I aslo have the stock header and shields for them as well.

Hey Och2pot,
Why don't you send Foran an email?
I am loving the look of my new pipes. I immediately noticed the bike felt lighter and more responsive, probably due to better air flow.
The bike is with Wayne from Tuneboy at the moment. He is taking every restriction off it and chucking some unifilters on. God, it's going to run good when I get it back in a couple of days, especially having the man himself tuning it.
Get it back on Friday so will put up a coulpe of pics and try to do a link to a sound file if I can, maybe do my first post on Youtube.
First impressions visually are that the short pipes make the bike look darker, thicker. and more powerful. But that's just me, other won't like it. My pipes are short, black ones that don't extend further out than the rear foot pegs.

The bike is with Wayne from Tuneboy at the moment. He is taking every restriction off it and chucking some unifilters on. God, it's going to run good when I get it back in a couple of days, especially having the man himself tuning it.

Does Tuneboy work on the Roadster? Does it use the standard Rocket tune format?

I don't know too much about Tuneboy having never used it before but my Roadster is the first one Wayne has gotten his hands on and he is using that to make up future tunes for the Roadster.

I don't know too much about Tuneboy having never used it before but my Roadster is the first one Wayne has gotten his hands on and he is using that to make up future tunes for the Roadster.

Must be nice to have access to the only person in the world who can do that.

At least I know it will be done right:)
I didn't know Wayne before, just knew a bloke who knew him and a phone call or two later and it was sorted. I just happened to be Johnny-on-the-spot!

At least I know it will be done right:)
I didn't know Wayne before, just knew a bloke who knew him and a phone call or two later and it was sorted. I just happened to be Johnny-on-the-spot!
I don't know about that .... The designer of the big valve "Jesus Head" for my MINI S is Jan Brueggeman, a big time Cooper guy out of California. He was visiting Philly and scheduled the installation of his head and custom header/exhaust (his design also) to coincide with access to Helix Minisports dyno in order to "create a new tune". About 8 months, 4 flights to Philly and $6000 later ... it's not bad (225hp @ the wheels), up from the stock 140hp for sure, but what a lengthy pain in the ars. Sometimes being the Guinea pig aint all it's cracked up to be. :rolleyes:

Back