ABS not working after rear wheel removal

Mike Sands

Supercharged
Ride
roadster 2012
The dealer took my rear wheel off to polish out some rim damage and delivered the bike back to me in mid January (crap weather and salt everywhere). Just got round to taking it out tonight and the back brake pedal felt funny (ABS kicking in repeatedly). After about 300 yards the ABS light came on and I pulled over and stopped. Switched off then on again and same happened. Thrid time the light just stayed on from the off and the pedal didnt do any pumping. Brake works fine but definitely no ABS on rear. Checked both fuses and they are fine.
Any ideas? - I would prefer to solve it myself as the dealer will have to pick it up and return it
Thanks
Mike

sounds like dealer might not have put the rear abs disc or sensor back correctly after putting back the wheel. or damaged one of them

I'm getting a bit alarmed. They are implying it MIGHT not be their fault. They are saying they test rode the bike. And also that my checking the ABS fuses might have done it. Also the fact that I have TuneECU could mean that something I have done with that could have caused the ABS failure. Apart from the fact that I haven't used Tuneecu since the bike was returned, I didn't think TuneECU could address the ABS system can it?
They are not saying it couldn't be there fault but they are making me very nervous that I'm going to get a bill to get my bike back if I give it to them to look at.
Anyone know if ABS problems can be fixed relatively easily by any competent bike garage?
Thanks
Mike

Try doing at least the basics yourself. The rear wheel has a sensor ring inside the rear disc - it looks like a disc with a bunch of rectangular slots cut in it. Check that isn't dirty or damaged in any way. If you follow the wire in the area of the rear axle it will lead you to the sensor that should be bolted solidly to the caliper carrier. I suppose it is possible to damage the sensor putting the rear wheel on incorrectly, although I've never managed to do it and I can (and do) break pretty much anything.

Maybe pulling the fuse (did you check it for continuity?) triggers a fault that takes a few restarts to reset. Or reset it with TuneECU?

Also check the wires running down to the front wheel sensor as the timing may just be coincidental. On my Roadster the wires to the front ABS hadn't been routed correctly and were eventually sawn in two by the fork stops, throwing a fault light.

Good luck!

Thanks Ed. I did take a look at the ABS rotor the other day and could see no obvious damage. The little black wire and sensor all seemed fine too but I will take a closer look. I did wonder whether the rotor could go on back to front or whether it has some spacers or something to put it at the right distance from the sensor. I pulled both ABS fuses and checked with a multimeter. I will check those wires at the front but when the brakes were misbehaving when I set off on Sunday it was only the rear lever that was pulsing. And it's only the rear wheel that has been out, so it seems unlikley that something at the front end is causing it. But I will check.
I don;t want to put TuneECU anywhere near the bike at the moment - just for my own peace of mind really. I know I haven't connected it since they took the bike away to fix the rim and the ABS was working fine befiore that so I want to be clear in my own mind that TuneECU can't be upsetting anything.
Thanks
Mike

Back