About time, I decided...

Tennessee

.020 Over
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Today is my 69th birthday. And today, for the first time in almost three months, I got up on a bike after a rather intense back fusion surgery that went down back on April 18th.
Lucky for me, I heal pretty good, and a few days ago my doc gave me the go ahead to ride, lightly, on asphalt with no potholes please...
So of course of my two bikes, I took out my Rocket.

I am a semi-retired Ind Eng with an emphasis on continuous improvement and maintenance. Got out of that manufacturing rat race about four years ago. I now run a part-time woodworking business, Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, out of a shop in my home. I even scaled that back some due to the ever present old-age stuff, in my case, knees, rotator cuff, back fusion and one totally replaced knee. Old age is NOT what they claim it is!

I have ridden most of my adult life, with my first bike, a Kaw KZ400 coming at age 25 or so. Now, my present rides are my Triumph Rocket III Roadster, proudly stock, and a beautiful Indian Roadmaster fully equipped touring bike.

I bought the Indian in 2016 when I finally gave up on HD, (no surprise there, I think), and traded my 2015 HD Ultra Limited Low with a ridiculous 404 miles on it for a brand new 2016 Indian Roadmaster with complete leathers, lowering kit, fishtail pipes, stage 1 mufflers, tassles, all that good **** that comes with big, ungainly touring bikes that look beautiful but essentially are hard to handle and slow. I love it!

But, after a few months and another surgery, for some reason I decided that around December 2016, I needed something strictly for me, some kind of street fighter, a hooligan bike, if you will.
I looked and looked at Craigslist and other forums for my area, and kind of got it down to either a Yahama Vmax, (probably would have died by now), going back in time for a Honda Magma, (only 1100CC, please), or a Triumph Rocket III Roadster.
Surprisingly, I realized I knew little about the Triumphs. Just that they had the biggest CC engine ever put in a production bike, and that they were rarer than hen's teeth here in SE Tennessee. So I looked and looked, and almost pulled the trigger on a really nice Honda Magma with low miles, completely stock, but at the last minute, decided that no, the Honda would not do it...

So one day in June of 2017, my wife and I got into the car and decided to visit every bike shop and dealership that we could find in the SE Tennessee area to see if I could satisfy my thirst. This is mostly Chattanooga.
About three dealers in, we walked into Pandora's Motorsports in Chattanooga, on a Wednesday afternoon, no less, to find that every sales person was busy. The place just reeked of speed, and I loved the few oldie goldies they had on the floor, but didn't want to own one of those.

Looking around, what do I see but a 2014 completely stock Triumph Rocket III Roadster with only 3400 miles on it! Just traded for a Ducati, I am told. With a completely worn out back tire, not a decent sign...
I stood by that bike for about ten minutes, looking and looking, and just could not get the attention of any sales people.
Now usually, when an older guy with a retired USN hat with his wife comes into a bike dealership driving a Cadillac SUV, I can't even get into the door without someone asking me to try out something. Here, this place was just selling the crap out of everything they had.

So, I did what I knew would get someone's attention. I mounted the bike, and started rocking it back and forth. 30 seconds later, I had a salesman.
So long story short, after some hard negotiating, I got the bike for about $8900, with all new fluids, a new rear Metzeler 240 mounted on the rear, and a full, three year warranty with only a $100 deductible thrown in for good measure. The warranty cost me an additional $500, but I am betting them it will break in three years, they are saying no. It is an Allstate warranty, and I have had good luck with them, so OK. I guess we'll see, but I am happy with the deal - total about $9400 for a three year old Rocket with under 3500 original miles. Happy camper I am.
I come back a couple days later to pick it up, and put on some miles, when four weeks later my back finally gives up the ghost riding a lawn mower. That started a ten month run that finally culminated in me getting a back fusion in April, 2018.

But now, it is almost July, 2018, and I have been cleared to ride.
So I thought it was time to get on this forum with the pros who own this wonderful ride. I almost never, ever see one down here, although with the Dragon only three-four hours from my house, you would think. Well it is what it is.
Very happy to have found you folks.
Very willing to learn about this hooligan rocket I have bought.
Thanks for reading!

Hello Mr Tennessee! Welcome from East Texas :D
There are quite a few fine Rocket captains in your area :thumbsup:
After you have been on this forum for a while, you will find that the people & the knowledge here are even greater (by far) than the bike itself - there is so much you will learn about the bike also

Edit: Oh ya, Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
welcome back Tn! i'm heading back to the rolling hills early sunday hoping calm less maddening traffic through atlanta; in the spirits of passing on safely tips i find camping in the HOV lane the safest during times of high traffic and cars jockeying for position which you get plenty of in Atlanta- the HOV usually has your more alert drivers also you have the left lane shoulder is there for you should you need it.
Leaving Savanna, GA sunday on the rocket; heat can be intense during 2-4pm recommend those doing any distance riding to drink plenty of water the night prior- good practice to kill the brews 1-2 nights prior to your trip..

speaking from experience here

Happy Birthday! And welcome to the forum from south Louisiana.

A worn out stock Metz at 3400 isn't a really bad sign. They are notorious for wearing out quickly. Mine was done at 3500. Bridgestone Excedra Max is generally the tire of choice for rear replacement.

Hi there Tennessee...really enjoyed your story......As you will see thru the pages in this forum, we are very like minded people on here...from ALL OVER the world no less!...
There are some really clued up guys on here who i personally have learnt so much from..
I ride a dec 2016 Roadster which now, 18 months later from new, is completely changed in looks and performance due to the addictive nature of the bike...I simply love it!...Hope your back is good now, Happy Birthday... (I'm Right behind you!...next month in fact!) and enjoy the ride....cheers Tal.
Christchurch , New Zealand.

WOW!! A brilliant introduction and the warmest British welcome to you from one of the Brits. Glad to hear the back is healing and I sympathise with the false knees..me too! 1 down and 1 to go..;);)

Back