A Troubling Precedent

ksquared

"O Captain, My Captain"
Ride
2008 Red/Black R3T
Former Chicago firefighter sues Harley-Davidson

He alleges bike wobbled before crash; company blames rider error

Ex-firefighter Jim McMahon's wrecked Harley-Davidson sits in a Daley Center courtroom Wednesday. (William DeShazer, Chicago Tribune / October 19, 2010)

By Duaa Eldeib, Tribune reporter
9:33 p.m. CDT, October 20, 2010

Jim McMahon, a longtime Chicago firefighter and motorcycle enthusiast, broke down twice Wednesday as he testified in a Cook County courtroom about being paralyzed from the chest down in a motorcycle crash.

He could use only his thumbs to wipe away the tears.

McMahon, 53, is suing Harley-Davidson, claiming the company produced a faulty motorcycle that led to his 2004 crash on an Arizona interstate. A resident of Chicago's Mount Greenwood neighborhood, McMahon requires a wheelchair and around-the-clock care.

In his opening statement, McMahon's attorney, Scott Hooper, said his client's bike "weaved and wobbled" before it crashed.

"A weaving and wobbling motorcycle is not a safe motorcycle," Hooper said. "They sold it knowing there's a problem with it and knowing there's a way to fix it."

McMahon's motorcycle, a 2004 black and cobalt blue Screamin' Eagle Electraglide, sat in the middle of the Daley Center courtroom. The bike's left side was mangled and grass remained lodged in the wheel.

Many jurors stood up to get a better look when Hooper pointed to the bike and said that some critical bolts were loose before the crash.

Mark Kircher, representing Harley-Davidson, said the crash was caused by driver error, not a mechanical defect.

"A moment of inattention caused him to leave the road," Kircher said. "When the road turned, he didn't."

McMahon bought his motorcycle on New Year's Eve 2003. At the time, he was a lieutenant with the Chicago Fire Department.

On March 29, 2004, McMahon and some friends, many of them fellow firefighters, were riding near Benson, Ariz. One rider signaled he needed gas and McMahon accelerated to the front of the group to alert others to the planned exit.

That's when McMahon said the motorcycle, which had only about 900 miles on it, began shaking and wobbling. When he tried to slow down, he said he felt it getting worse, so he sped up.

"I didn't know what was happening," McMahon said. "I was trying to hang on for my life."

After he crashed, he was unconscious and without a pulse. Doctors placed him in a medically induced coma.

On Wednesday attorneys from both sides tried to use product tests done by Harley-Davidson to support their arguments. Kircher said Harley motorcycles underwent "extensive, rigorous" testing that proves they are safe. Hooper said company tests show a pattern of problems similar to the one experienced by McMahon.

Hooper said he is representing three other clients with similar issues with their motorcycles, and that McMahon's case is the first to go to trial.

That's gonna be a tough one to prove either way ... I'm curious to find out how it ends.

Thats going to be extremely hard to prove negligence on Harleys part. No broken pieces and I didnt see mention of any dealer services for an issue. Although when is the first service for those bikes? Could be a mechanic screwed up at the dealership.
At any rate we should all be watching as this could hurt the industry or justify a terrible thing to him

mutt

Not sure why he sped up after slowing down...and "hanging on for dear life".

As much as I am not a fan of HD, I find it hard to believe that after 900 miles he would all of a sudden start experiencing such a problem.

Dennis

54 dtg Dubai
55 dtg London

152 dtg Dubai
153 dtg Home (Triumph buying time)

Wasn't the bike crated and shipped to a dealer for final assembly? Could someone not have torqued the head stock bearings to spec?.. Sounds like a combination of loose head stock bearings and inexperienced rider.. or atleast inexperienced in dealing with loose head stock bearings.. Loose head stock bearings would be a dealer issue, not a manufacturer issue or design flaw..

I had to torque the head stock bearings on my Rocket at about 12,000 miles. When I got to them (involves removing the upper triple clamp) they were not only loose, they were spinning free and the front end could move up and down in the neck...

General aviation went through this in the late 70's and 80's and it nearly destroyed it, and now factory airplanes are outrageously expensive. It did, however, stimulate the homebuilt aircraft industry.

My hunch is the guy just blew it and ran off the road. He sped up to inform the lead riders and probably gained to much speed to handle the oncmoing curve. We have all likely seen that video of a deals gap harley rider passing an rv and then running right off the road when he couldn't handle the next curve at his increased speed. In that case though he just freaked and froze, not even attempting to make the curve.

I have had loose headstock bearings also and all it does it make the front wheel wobble when you take your hands off and only at certain speeds. As soon as you put your hands back on the bar the wobble stops. Unlike sportbikes cruisers have a lot of trail, I just don't see them tankslapping into the ground even if the headstock bearings are not torqued properly. It will be interesting to see how this case pans out.

That does it! ..... Now I REALLY don't want one! :eek:

(Before I only Really didn't want one)
;)

Follow Up

Settlement reached in Harley-Davidson lawsuit
Paralyzed firefighter claimed motorcycle defect caused crash

Lawyers for a Chicago firefighter who was paralyzed in a motorcycle wreck said Thursday that they settled their lawsuit with Harley-Davidson Inc. after a Daley Center jury was deadlocked.

Jim McMahon, 53, alleged that a defect caused the motorcycle to wobble and crash on an Arizona highway in 2004. The company blamed driver error.

McMahon, of Chicago's Mount Greenwood neighborhood, is paralyzed from the chest down and requires a wheelchair and around-the-clock care.

Lawyers for both sides declined to divulge the settlement terms because of a confidentiality agreement.

The settlement was reached Wednesday after the Cook County Circuit Court jury indicated a day earlier that it was at an impasse on whether Milwaukee-based Harley-Davidson bore responsibility for the crash, the lawyers said.

Probably cheaper for H D to payout, rather than suffer the costs from ongoing negative PR.

Shame that the man ended up with his life changing injuries anyway you look at it!:(

Back