A Slight Problem

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
Have Bf Goodrich comp 2 on back at 31 PSI, Front is a Avon cobra with about 37 PSI. Today at speeds above 100 MPH the bike began to wobble. Speeds less than 100 MPH all is smooth. Rear rim has all new guts spacers and bearings. Balanced the tire myself. Front tire has about 6,000 miles on it but no signs of cupping. My question is could the front tire really be the bad guy here and after 6,000 miles become unbalanced? Going to pull the front rim this weekend and check for balance. any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

An easy way to check the tire without removing it, is to pump it up to about 44-45 psi. If the wobble is gone, it is just air pressure and not balancing. My Excedra Maxes run better at the higher psi and wear better too, maybe your Avon as well.

An easy way to check the tire without removing it, is to pump it up to about 44-45 psi. If the wobble is gone, it is just air pressure and not balancing. My Excedra Maxes run better at the higher psi and wear better too, maybe your Avon as well.
I have the same issue and blamed it on the batwing. Gonna try the pressure test.

I just bought a Bike Master balancing stand. The beads may work but for now I will stick with the weights. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

@sonny,Remember to clean the wheel where the weights will be placed with alcohol prep pads or similar product.

No am just going to install the weights like any other dealership would, just slap them on. :eek::eek::eek::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Did the weights fly off?????????????????????? o_O :eek: :whitstling: :p ;) :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes the wobble was slight but now is worse. Headstock bearing on the list for this weekend along with the tire. No the weights are firmly in place. My fears were that that is caused by the car tire in general. Going with air pressure first, if that works than great if not we will be turning some wrenches on the front end this weekend. Just wanted to know if the wobble is common with car tires. Betting on Headstock bearings being loose and unbalanced front wheel. Checked headstock bearings at 500 miles but now have 17500 miles. Hopefully we are working in the right direction to fix this little problem.

I had the same thing when i tried a car tire. anything over 180 kph the bike started a slow weave which got worse as speed increased. Steady as a rock with the speedo needle just past the oil pressure light with an Exedra Max on the rear

Last edited:
I had the same thing when i tried a car tire. anything over 180 kph the bike started a slow weave which got worse as speed increased. Steady as a rock with the speedo needle just past the oil pressure light.
If it is just the car tire that is causing the problem (hopefully not) then it will not be on the bike for long.

Back