A ride in Northern Ireland

Jerry C

The Thunderbird was rented.
Ride
2007 Rocket Classic
My wife and I made a trip to Ireland for family reasons and decided to rent a bike while we were there. We came across the Phillip McCallen site and corresponded with Sam via email. Sam didn't have a Rocket availabe for the time we were there, but he set us up with a brand new (750 miles when we picked it up) Thunderbird LT.

They provide riding gear for a reasonable rate, so we didn't pack any of our gear. When we arrived at McCallen's shop Sam introduced us to Anna. Anna took us to a room full of riding gear and started fitting us. She couldn't find boots or a helment that fit my wife, so she went to the show room and brought back new gear until we found something that fit.

Sam pulled some suggested routes out of a three ring binder full routes ranging from 1 day to a couple weeks. The rides were super. The service was FANTASTIC. The bike was a sweet ride, not the same as our Rocket at home, but a sweet ride.

If any of you are planning a trip to Ireland (think Isle of Man) get in contact with the folks at Phillip McCallen. Their bikes can be taken all over north and south Ireland, Scottland and England. Their insurance will not allow the bikes to go across the channel. They are top rate people with good equipment.

Home and smiling after a good ride,
Jerry C

My wife and I made a trip to Ireland for family reasons and decided to rent a bike while we were there. We came across the Phillip McCallen site and corresponded with Sam via email. Sam didn't have a Rocket availabe for the time we were there, but he set us up with a brand new (750 miles when we picked it up) Thunderbird LT.

They provide riding gear for a reasonable rate, so we didn't pack any of our gear. When we arrived at McCallen's shop Sam introduced us to Anna. Anna took us to a room full of riding gear and started fitting us. She couldn't find boots or a helment that fit my wife, so she went to the show room and brought back new gear until we found something that fit.

Sam pulled some suggested routes out of a three ring binder full routes ranging from 1 day to a couple weeks. The rides were super. The service was FANTASTIC. The bike was a sweet ride, not the same as our Rocket at home, but a sweet ride.

If any of you are planning a trip to Ireland (think Isle of Man) get in contact with the folks at Phillip McCallen. Their bikes can be taken all over north and south Ireland, Scottland and England. Their insurance will not allow the bikes to go across the channel. They are top rate people with good equipment.

Home and smiling after a good ride,
Jerry C
POST UP HAPPY SNAPS PLEASE

Way to go. I may have to do that someday in the not too distant future.

Just two questions, if "Their bikes can be taken all over north and south Ireland, Scottland (sic) and England. Their insurance will not allow the bikes to go across the channel", how do get the bike from Ireland to Scotland and England without crossing the channel? (or is it the channel between England and Europe?) and what have they got against Wales?

Northern Irish roads are the best kept biking secret in the UK. Have been lucky enough to go over five or six times with a group of friends. We participate in bike treks just for fun, it's like orienteering on bikes and is a great way to discover a place as you have to plan your own routes. The locals are great and of course the Guiness is the best!!! Haven't taken the rocket yet, roll on next year.

Couldn't help but read the thread title and immediately be confused....how do you ride backwards?

Ponters you're gonna have to explain that...

Back