A new seat for my new R3 GT

JPHDT

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT - 1999 HD Road King
This Rocket 3 GT is fantastic but the rear shock absorber... It was exactly the same with my previous Rocket 3 in 2007.
As I cannot change or adjust softer the shock absorber, I looked how to improve the comfort of the saddle.
CORBIN offers a dual saddle with expected better comfort for rider and passenger.
As the service was not offered mid June to French people when I was looking at, I found another option.
My seat and pillion were upgraded by a French saddle maker, to improve comfort and the nice design of the saddle.

This was done by Renov Siege, located close to Brest city within 4 days (I gave my saddle last Monday and I will get it this Friday).
You will find a bunch of pictures showing the bike with original seat, then how the seat was improved ( Thickness: + 1"1/4 - Width of pillion: +2").

Comments regarding comfort and pictures of new saddle on the bike will follow soon. If anybody in Europe is interested, contact me.

R3 GT original saddle.JPG Original saddle.JPG Selle R3 en cours de rénovation.jpg 2 Saddle R3GT Renov Siege.jpg 3 Saddle R3GT Renov siege.jpg 1 Saddle R3GT Renov Siege.jpg

Great job! Did something similar once on my previous Rocket. Much better.

After a few miles, one can feel some improvement.
+ 1"1/4 increased thickness of foam matters. Small road bumps, minus half inch, are eaten by the thicker saddle.
Here is a comparison, the bike with original an upgraded saddle.

R3 GT original saddle.JPG 1 New saddle R3 GT.JPG 2 New saddle R3 GT.JPG 3 New saddle R3 GT.JPG 4 New saddle R3 GT.JPG

After a few miles, one can feel some improvement.
+ 1"1/4 increased thickness of foam matters. Small road bumps, minus half inch, are eaten by the thicker saddle.
Here is a comparison, the bike with original an upgraded saddle.

R3 GT original saddle.JPG 1 New saddle R3 GT.JPG 2 New saddle R3 GT.JPG 3 New saddle R3 GT.JPG 4 New saddle R3 GT.JPG
Looks good! Have you tried playing around with compression and rebound damping in the rear? Dave Moss agreed that 9 clicks clockwise on the preload was just about right, but maybe you should try easing off on the damping? The worst that can happen is you get seasick and have to retrun to stock settings.. :)

Looks good! Have you tried playing around with compression and rebound damping in the rear? Dave Moss agreed that 9 clicks clockwise on the preload was just about right, but maybe you should try easing off on the damping? The worst that can happen is you get seasick and have to retrun to stock settings.. :)

After 85 miles ride (US ones 😊) with the wife on the bike, she was pleased telling me that 1"1/4 makes a difference (added thickness to pillion.... what are you thinking about men 🙂).
I added 20 clicks on preload from max anti-clockwise, and I could have added 25. It was ok for small bumps. Today her back is still OK.

Preload is adjustable to our weight which is great but, compression and rebound cannot be set to softer position at it is at max from factory settings. 😡

After 85 miles ride (US ones 😊) with the wife on the bike, she was pleased telling me that 1"1/4 makes a difference (added thickness to pillion.... what are you thinking about men 🙂).
I added 20 clicks on preload from max anti-clockwise, and I could have added 25. It was ok for small bumps. Today her back is still OK.

Preload is adjustable to our weight which is great but, compression and rebound cannot be set to softer position at it is at max from factory settings. 😡
No it isn't (set at max softness) unless someone has tampered with it, look at the table below.
Skärmklipp 2020-07-13 15.36.19.png

No it isn't (set at max softness) unless someone has tampered with it, look at the table below.
You are fully right.
Oopss I was referring to the table regardons preload for rider without passenger. In this case table says « fully anticlockwise for standard, comfort or sport).
From the very beginning, rebound and compression damping are fully open ( Max anticlockwise ).

I will have to choose good roads for my back .....

Does you pillion find the foot position cramped for the legs?. Seems the passenger pegs are up fairly high, to accomodate the styling and fold away aspect.

Thanks

Hoopla

Does you pillion find the foot position cramped for the legs?. Seems the passenger pegs are up fairly high, to accomodate the styling and fold away aspect.

My Honey is used to very comfortable « Mustang » passenger seat installed on ours HD (Road King, and previously Road-Glide). Passenger has a rather good position on these bikes.

Adding +1’’1/4 to the thickness of the pillion of the R3 GT helps a lot. She is 5’ 6’’, and after a first ride with upgraded pillion, she told me that everything is OK. She enjoys the small sissy bar, as there was not any on my first rocket. She was happy with the position of her legs. However it is better to stop every hour and half. It is time to fuel up the bike and riders.

Back