A few questions for Texas R3T owners

Gasser57

Standard Bore
Hi all! New guy from Austin here who's considering a used R3T to replace my '07 Suzuki Bandit 1250, and I have some questions.

1) What are you all paying for insurance? Progressive quoted me $602/yr. on a '14 for minimal liability, minimum uninsured/underinsured, no PIP, collision w/ $500 deductible which includes "free" accessory coverage, and roadside assistance. So not bare legal minimum coverage, but not overkill either. That's about $230/yr. more than I pay them for the same coverage on my Bandit. I'm 59, great credit, homeowner, good driving record (1 ticket in last 3 years). Does that seem reasonable, or if I pull the trigger on an R3T, should I go with someone else?

2) Any particular long time Triumph dealers you'd recommend for a used R3T? Someone who's knowledgeable about their inventory and doesn't just cut and paste from the brochure? Or those clowns who do the 60 second videos with the computer voiceover "reading" from the brochure. The Austin dealership who recently took on Triumph has a less than stellar reputation, and given their short history with Triumph, I doubt they have the product knowledge I'm after. I wouldn't mind going to San Antonio, Houston, or DFW area if there's a fair and honest dealership(s) that you all would recommend. When I'm ready to buy, I'd probably prefer buying from a private seller like someone on this forum, because forum owners typically really know their bikes and take better care of them. But there are some good dealerships out there, and hopefully a few Texas Triumph dealerships fall into this category.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

70 cents a day more for the thrill of having a rocket!! Just over a grand here in NJ No accidents and great credit.

Make a deal and worry about dealer later, only a handful of good dealers in the whole country!!

Not from Texas sorry!

Not a T... Full coverage on a Roadster

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 10.41.32 PM.png

Here is what I've learned from insurance companies. If you are renewing your policy, DO NOT use the same company! It seems insurance companies increase rates to returning customers and offer lower rates for new customers. My experience: I initially insured my Bonneville through Progressive which I carried forward when I purchased the Rocket. Went to renew the policy and the rates more than doubled! Switched to Geico (same coverage) and rates were almost half that of Progressive. Went to renewed with Geico, again rate increase by $25, so went back to Progressive, yet again rates reduced by $150 (I also increased liability to next tier bracket). My current rate with Geico is $360/yr- full coverage, $100 deductible with no uninsured motorist fee (which is a total rip off), shop around with different insurance companies, you'll be surprised how rates vary between insurers. Also pay full amount up front too benefit lowest rates.

I know it's not how you worded your inquiry, but whenever I've bought a car, boat, plane, or bike, the very last thing I consider is insurance?:rolleyes:

Buy the rocket and ride it down the street and you won't remember what your insurance cost!:D

Seems high, Progressive covers 6 bikes for me, including an R3T, for about that in NY.

Best deal I've found is with Allstate. Probably because the agent is a long time friend and has all of my other insurance as well

I have full coverage with American Modern amig.com. I am in Alabama and pay a little over $200/year for full coverage. My independant insurance agent recommended it and set it up annually. I do get some discounts for being a homeowner, no claims, etc.

Hi from Austin as well. Not too many Rockets in this town!

Progressive coverage on my '14 roadster is $360/yr. I've got two other bikes on the policy, a VTX 1800 and a Kawa Vulcan 750 (wife's).

Spending some time on this board should give you all the product knowledge you need. I don't have any experience with the Triumph dealer here, but for service, I have always had a great experience with Austin City Powersports in South Austin. They've done work on all my bikes and have always done it correctly on the first try. Good place to have tires mounted too.

Hi all! New guy from Austin here who's considering a used R3T to replace my '07 Suzuki Bandit 1250, and I have some questions.

1) What are you all paying for insurance? Progressive quoted me $602/yr. on a '14 for minimal liability, minimum uninsured/underinsured, no PIP, collision w/ $500 deductible which includes "free" accessory coverage, and roadside assistance. So not bare legal minimum coverage, but not overkill either. That's about $230/yr. more than I pay them for the same coverage on my Bandit. I'm 59, great credit, homeowner, good driving record (1 ticket in last 3 years). Does that seem reasonable, or if I pull the trigger on an R3T, should I go with someone else?

2) Any particular long time Triumph dealers you'd recommend for a used R3T? Someone who's knowledgeable about their inventory and doesn't just cut and paste from the brochure? Or those clowns who do the 60 second videos with the computer voiceover "reading" from the brochure. The Austin dealership who recently took on Triumph has a less than stellar reputation, and given their short history with Triumph, I doubt they have the product knowledge I'm after. I wouldn't mind going to San Antonio, Houston, or DFW area if there's a fair and honest dealership(s) that you all would recommend. When I'm ready to buy, I'd probably prefer buying from a private seller like someone on this forum, because forum owners typically really know their bikes and take better care of them. But there are some good dealerships out there, and hopefully a few Texas Triumph dealerships fall into this category.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Here is what I've learned from insurance companies. If you are renewing your policy, DO NOT use the same company! It seems insurance companies increase rates to returning customers and offer lower rates for new customers. My experience: I initially insured my Bonneville through Progressive which I carried forward when I purchased the Rocket. Went to renew the policy and the rates more than doubled! Switched to Geico (same coverage) and rates were almost half that of Progressive. Went to renewed with Geico, again rate increase by $25, so went back to Progressive, yet again rates reduced by $150 (I also increased liability to next tier bracket). My current rate with Geico is $360/yr- full coverage, $100 deductible with no uninsured motorist fee (which is a total rip off), shop around with different insurance companies, you'll be surprised how rates vary between insurers. Also pay full amount up front too benefit lowest rates.

Yeah leatal, I went with Progressive when I got my Bandit because the company covering my Ducati was twice what Progressive was on the Bandit. So I left them for Progressive. So shopping around always sounds like the way to go in my case, especially since I'm typically just a one bike at a time guy.

Hi from Austin as well. Not too many Rockets in this town!

Progressive coverage on my '14 roadster is $360/yr. I've got two other bikes on the policy, a VTX 1800 and a Kawa Vulcan 750 (wife's).

Spending some time on this board should give you all the product knowledge you need. I don't have any experience with the Triumph dealer here, but for service, I have always had a great experience with Austin City Powersports in South Austin. They've done work on all my bikes and have always done it correctly on the first try. Good place to have tires mounted too.

Ted - thanks for the tip about Austin City Powersports. I do most of my own servicing, but there are some things better left to others. And since I'm on the south side of town, their location is a plus for me.

Back