A Day At Oregon Raceway Park

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
My son Arlin, Jon from the BRAT club and I just got back from our 3 day road trip including a day of track riding at Oregon Raceway Park. The Motofit Group was putting on a 2 day weekend track training event. We rode out the 350 miles though eastern and central Oregon to Grass Valley, OR. on Friday.

We spent the day on Saturday at the track riding 7 heats of 20 minute each. We had 4 classroom sessions at 25 minutes each. Of course I was the "nut" riding a tank. There were more than 100 riders and all but 2 other guy had sport bikes. The other 2 guys had single cylinder motard bikes. We were segregated into 3 different classes. Green for the newbies, Blue for the intermediate riders, and Black for the pro's and very experienced riders. We were in the green group with 24 other riders. My son Arlin road his red SV650 and was able to graduate from Green to Blue by the 6th heat. Jon with his black Street Triple wanted to learn how to press the limits of his bike and his nerve just a little bit more. He reported success.

The Rocket did pretty good for a big girl. I overcame my peg scraping anxiety and scraped the doo doo out of my $285 Rivco floor boards. My what were tiny chicken strips on my back tire are now completely gone. What fun ! In my second heat I ran off the track one time because I came up the front straight and held it a little too long getting to 120 mph just before turn 1. The back brake locked up and I had to pump release several times so I was not comfortable with my speed to turn in so I just rolled straight off into the grass slowed down and then turned back onto the track. The rest of the day I limited the straight away to 110 mph and was able to safely slow my speed down just right for turn 1. The track is 2.3 miles and has 16 turns and 400 feet of elevation change. It is a very technical track.

blackberry pictures 6-21-15 048.jpg blackberry pictures 6-21-15 058.jpg blackberry pictures 6-21-15 053.jpg

Attachments

• blackberry pictures 6-21-15 061.jpg
    blackberry pictures 6-21-15 061.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 1
  • blackberry pictures 6-21-15 064.jpg
    blackberry pictures 6-21-15 064.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back