A couple of TuneECU questions after first map read.

Starmanut

Nitrous
Ride
2010 Rocket III Touring, Suzuki Boulevard M50
Well, I finally hooked up the laptop to the bike.
I found out that Windows 10 does NOT find the drivers. I had to install them myself manually.
I followed the directions found on the site with no problems.

IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1437.jpg

A question: During the connection a series of clicks were coming from that little box just under the bear claw/air intakes here:
IMG_1434.jpg
Is that normal? (what is that thing anyway?)

After the read was finished I went to the test tab and clicked the cooling fan button and only got a bunch of clicks, more from the same place as before plus others coming from the fan area, but the fan itself did not turn on. (engine not running). Do I need to worry about that, or does the engine have to be warmed up?

The Cylinder pressures were a bit off, guess I'll find out how to balance those.

After starting the engine I went into the diagnostics and everything seemed to be reading fine, though.

I'll download the new Tripp map in a week or so, it's a nice day today, I'll take her out!

Thanks!!

Either the idle speed control stepper motor, or the secondary throttle stepper motor makes these noises under the bearclaw.

Shouldn't make noise when you just connect Tune ECU, only when you turn ignition on (they cycle through range of motion) or when you run a test in Tune ECU or equivalent.

Well, I finally hooked up the laptop to the bike.
I found out that Windows 10 does NOT find the drivers. I had to install them myself manually.
I followed the directions found on the site with no problems.

IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1437.jpg

A question: During the connection a series of clicks were coming from that little box just under the bear claw/air intakes here:
IMG_1434.jpg
Is that normal? (what is that thing anyway?)

After the read was finished I went to the test tab and clicked the cooling fan button and only got a bunch of clicks, more from the same place as before plus others coming from the fan area, but the fan itself did not turn on. (engine not running). Do I need to worry about that, or does the engine have to be warmed up?

The Cylinder pressures were a bit off, guess I'll find out how to balance those.

After starting the engine I went into the diagnostics and everything seemed to be reading fine, though.

I'll download the new Tripp map in a week or so, it's a nice day today, I'll take her out!

Thanks!!

I have encountered a "buzzing" noise occasionally when hooking up Tune ECU from the Idle Stepper Motor (touch it and confirm), dont know if its some sort of EMF or something like that but the slightest tweak with a 7mm spanner sorts its.

The fan test should work as long as the ignition's on. This is what its for. Can you reach in and spin the fan by hand? Sounds like you may have diagnosed your first fault with Tune ECU. Whenever I'm plugged in I try and remember to trigger this just to check. Try again and make sure the relays clicking (side cover). Output goes from ECU to relay to power the fan.

Re manifold inlet pressures unless you have an aftermarket air system, or are a midget contortionist with special tools they are nearly impossible to balance. One friend I gave my set of spare K&N's to, rather than pull the airbox out and and refit it to do the balancing, maybe there's a special tool?

The fan test should work as long as the ignition's on. This is what its for. Can you reach in and spin the fan by hand? Sounds like you may have diagnosed your first fault with Tune ECU. Whenever I'm plugged in I try and remember to trigger this just to check. Try again and make sure the relays clicking (side cover). Output goes from ECU to relay to power the fan.

Thanks!! I think I did hear the fan relays. Now to give the fan a shove. Is that little box I have outlined in red (3rd picture) the stepper motor? That's where the vibration came from.

Thanks!! I think I did hear the fan relays. Now to give the fan a shove. Is that little box I have outlined in red (3rd picture) the stepper motor? That's where the vibration came from.

Yes that's the ISM, the adjuster nut is facing towards the engine, when I say tweak with a 7mm spanner, I mean a very small tweak will stop it. Adjusting it too far adjusts the idle speed and can mess up the TPS vs ISM settings, but don't stress over that as its manageable, more important not to have the ISM oscillating, it will wear things.

Have seen this a couple of times now and oddly both on R3T's but that's only a coincidence

Let us know what the fan issue is

Give fan a shove... with ignition OFF only!

You'll find all kinds of funny noises when flashing tunes and doing diagnostics.

Give fan a shove... with ignition OFF only!

You'll find all kinds of funny noises when flashing tunes and doing diagnostics.

I sure did. There's no clicking with the key on now. Must have been TuneECU doing it's thing.
I can't get to the fan as it is. I have a grill cover coming from Flipmeister in the next day or so, I'll give it a push while I'm putting that on. :)
With ignition off. :thumbsup:

I found the fan issue. A dead relay.
Got that idea from this forum while reading stuff the last few days. Someone suggested swapping the fuel pump relay with the fan to see if the relay might be bad.
I swapped and it spun up (from the TuneECU test screen).

Now off I go in search of a replacement relay. I hope they are easier to find than some other parts!!

Back