A cool Sunday in July ride

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
07.20.2014 TDragger and Karen.jpg
Yesterday morning I met up with Tail Dragger and his beautiful wife Karen at Montclair Family restaurant on Hwy 234 in Dumfries, VA. There, they got to meet Peggy, a slightly scatter-brained older waitress who is by far the most thoughtful women in the service world as far as I am concerned. She may not be the fastest, but she is always good for making you feel that life is all right. We had a good breakfast and headed north to join Joplin road for our first portion of the ride. (Unfortunately, Pretty Pillion was under the weather and unable to join us today). I missed the turn off to Joplin and we had to back track (sorry for making you turn around Karen, but I did try to pick a wide area). Karen has a beautiful red Speedmaster that TD has added some short Rineharts to. This bike sounds great.
Once I corrected my navigation error, we cruised down Joplin Rd under a partly cloudy sky and full shade of the overhanging trees. I wanted to make sure I didn’t ride too fast as this is the place I tell everyone several bikers go to die each year. Looking in the mirrors I saw that I never left Karen behind. And luckily today, we didn’t meet anyone running beyond the center lines. One fellow on an approaching sport bike signaled me that a cop was ahead so maybe this was the reason. Sure enough, coming out of trees at the end of Joplin was a patrol car with his radar gun pointed at us.
After Joplin, we headed south on Rt 1 to Stafford. At a red light, I asked Karen if our speed was good for her. In no uncertain terms, she let me know I could speed it up a little. (I really like this lady). However, as we turned East onto Courthouse Rd, I knew the next leg would be as risky as Joplin with knuckleheads driving too fast and crossing over the center line at times. To drive that point home, we came upon a gaggle of blue lights and a cage on its roof on the way to Aquia Landing. I don’t think anyone was hurt as the roof held its form well, but still, it is a constant reminder that people push their vehicles beyond the limits of physics on some of these fun bike roads. Once we made it to the Potomac River, we stopped and took a picture of the bikes. If you do not know the history of this area, legend says that the Native American Princess Pocahontas was kidnapped from this point. In addition, the Union Army used this area as a major logistics base during the Civil War. Nowadays, it is a cool place to picnic, swim, fish and have a family gathering.
We headed back towards Rt 1 and parted ways by the old train bridge in Brooke. Pretty Pillion had received a picture I texted to her and called me to check on our ride. She still wasn’t feeling well but if I were to pick up some spicy chicken from Popeye’s on the way home, that might make her feel better. Luckily, there is one on the way home… Go figure.
All in all, it was a great way to spend a few hours with friends on a cool morning in July.

I always enjoy reading your write ups, good job! Sounds like a good day...

On a more important note how's your bum? ;)

Back