dandiego

Turbocharged
Ride
2009 R3T
Recently moved to Florida and my R3T is coming up on 50k Miles. It appears the maintenance schedule is pretty easy this go-round—not as intensive as the 40k.

I called the local Stealer (Tampa Triumph) to see what it would cost (basically an oil change and checks on everything else—no valve adjustments, etc.). I was frustrated to hear that he wasn’t sure. He’d have to take a look and see what’s needed.

“No,” I told him. “I know what’s needed, per the manual.” Still, he couldn’t (or wouldn’t) give me a quote...not even a rough estimate. So I’ll either look at other places or do it myself. Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Anyone care to comment on their 50k mile service experiences or suggestions?

Only thing I would add is that my dealer recommended only doing the valve clearance check every 40,000 miles because he never encountered an out of tolerance valve on a Rocket with fewer miles...unless, of course, you have one tapping away. My bike needed only a single adjustment spacer in over 80,000 miles.

Yeah, I think I did them at the 40k. That was a whopper of a service and cost me $900+. The fuel filter was one of the most expensive items (labor, not part).

I had the valves checked at the 20k mark but they were all in spec.

If you want to develop a relationship with a dealer, I would recommend Hap's in Sarasota. From where you are located, it is really no farther than taking your bike to Tampa Triumph. Hap's has helped me out of a couple of pinches and they are nice people.

Welcome to the area. I work south of Ruskin (Old Sun City) and live up the road a piece in Riverview.

After I posted my reply to you, I got to thinking that Hap's is no longer a Triumph dealer. But they were until recently and I would think are still a good bet for service.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!! What grief trying to get the 50,000 mile service done.

There are only 2 real Triumph dealerships in the Tampa Bay Area—Tampa and Lakeland Triumph. And the one in Lakeland is a Fun Bike Center.

I asked for estimates on the service per the maintenance schedule and both places waffled. “Well, we kinda go off that sheet but we do our own thing.” The guy in Tampa said he’d “lube the chain.” I asked if he s worked in the Rocket III and he assured me he had. When I mentioned the R3 doesn’t have a chain, he said....”Oh, yeah...that’s right.”

Not instilling confidence.

Both quotes were between 5-7.5 hours of labor plus $200 in parts. $1,000?!? Really?

So frustrating.

Triumph had better work on getting and keeping some Dealers that know their a__ from a hole in the ground, "IF" they want to keep trying to sell motorcycles. Where I bought my 2013 was a bunch of nice intelligent people, from the mechanics all the way down to the secretary. (Also sold and stocked Ducati and BMW). THEN Triumph leaned on them to start carrying all the "other" things besides motorcycles, shirts, jackets, etc. etc. (a la Hardley), so they told Triumph to come pick up all their motorcycles and that was that. So sad.

Triumph just started implementing a new sales policy and dealers are dropping like flies. It’s just not doable.

The main issues are square footage (Triumph demands a lot of space), bike stock kept on hand (good for us and Triumph, not great for dealers) and hours of operation (6 days a week and at least one late night).

Many dealers refused to do it and its hurting Triumph owners.

I am probably wrong, but after looking at the list of items that are performed at the 50,000 mile service, I would think $1,000 total is not out of line -- if the technician is actually doing everything.

Back