50 State Certified?

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
Hey, hope all are well. From time to time I get the bug(no, not that one, :eek:)to shop for a Touring model. I get all excited about used bikes I see and then, when I am just about to make an offer, I realize, "Hey, dummy, it has less than 7500 miles and can't be purchased and/or registered per California law." But maybe I've been wrong about that if Rockets are 50 State Emission Certified. Are they?

Thanks,

VR

I have never heard they are not certified, several have them there now; every year.

I have never heard they are not certified, several have them there now; every year.
Hey Boog, I almost PM'd you earlier today when I saw one of your PHD eligible Doctorials about all things Rocket and thought, "Hey, this Dude might know the answer!"

Is there a sticker somewhere on the frame that states the Rocket is 50 State Certified? Thanks!

Hey Boog, I almost PM'd you earlier today when I saw one of your PHD eligible Doctorials about all things Rocket and thought, "Hey, this Dude might know the answer!"

Is there a sticker somewhere on the frame that states the Rocket is 50 State Certified? Thanks!
I really do not know that answer. I sent an email to Triumph North America, maybe they will have that answer back soon.

Past a certain year (I don't recall when, but at least by 2014) -- all the Touring bikes were fitted with the evaporative recovery plumbing under the left side panel, in order to meet California CARB requirements.

Past a certain year (I don't recall when, but at least by 2014) -- all the Touring bikes were fitted with the evaporative recovery plumbing under the left side panel, in order to meet California CARB requirements.

My 08 R3T does NOT have the evap canister, cross over box is empty but cats are in mufflers

@RockOn this is the response I got from Triumph North America this morning; I learned something...

"Bobby,

Thank you for contacting Triumph.

Yes we did have all model years of the Rocket that are California compliant. However there are some 49 state bikes from earlier years that will not be.

There were 49 state as well as 50 state units prior to 2012.

Thank you."

That does not tell us exactly which models but as you suggest, there are some not legal in Commifornia.

If I remember right ... help me out guys ... I believe there is a digit in the VIN# that indicates California compliant. My VIN# starts with SMTCOOL. I remember someone telling me the "C" in the VIN# stood for California compliant. My bike came with the "C" stenciled on my catalytic converter that actually has the cat element in it. My bike also has the evaporative canister installed. I think both are needed for California.

If I remember right ... help me out guys ... I believe there is a digit in the VIN# that indicates California compliant. My VIN# starts with SMTCOOL. I remember someone telling me the "C" in the VIN# stood for California compliant. My bike came with the "C" stenciled on my catalytic converter that actually has the cat element in it. My bike also has the evaporative canister installed. I think both are needed for California.

Hi;

I don't see that in the VIN description.
My 2005 also started with SMTCOOL and sold in PA without the canister, and yes you need both for CA emissions.

If indicated, that info would be in the VDS - digits 4-8 but I can't find the exact description for all of them...

FYI: VIN definitions are different in different countries - US is:

The first three characters should be SMT which is the manufacturer code for Triumph (S) Motorcycles (MT).

Vehicle Description Section (VDS) = Digits 4 through 8 identify the vehicle model, body style, engine type, transmission and more. Service shops commonly use this information to identify systems installed by the manufacturer so that they can properly service a car.

The next two characters 4 and 5 show the model type:
C0=Cruiser?

The next three characters 6, 7, and 8 represent the model type as below:

Not sure of the numbers but I think digit 6 is:

0=Rocket III
1=Rocket III Classic
2=Rocket III Tourer
3=Rocket III Roadster
4=?? X?
5=Rocket III Touring

7&8 = ? 7=L=2300??

The ninth digit, or check digit, is used to detect invalid VINs based on a mathematical formula that was developed by the Department of Transportation.

Digits 10 through 17 make up the Vehicle Identifier Section (VIS).

The tenth digit indicates the year.
4=2004
5=2005
9=2009
A=2010
J=2018
K=2019
L=2020

The 11th digit identifies the manufacturing plant in which the vehicle was assembled. Each manufacturer has its own set of plant codes.
J= Jacknell Road Hinckley UK

Digits 12 through 17 indicate the production or serial number.
This number could indicate the sequence in which a vehicle came off the assembly line. Since there is no fixed standard for this number, each manufacturer may use this number differently.

The last six are important for selecting the proper tune should you modify your ECU/ECM!!

Example USA decoded Rocket VIN:

VIN #: SMTC05LR68J341205

Country = UNITED KINGDOM
Manufacturer = Triumph Motorcycles Ltd.
Mobile6 Class. = MC
Make = Triumph
Vehicle Type = Motorcycle
Motorcycles Type = Cruiser
Model = Rocket III Touring
Engine Code = L
Engine Type = L3, 2300 cc; Liquid Cooled; DOHC
Fuel Type = Gasoline