444 shock upgrade questions

camccardell

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic Tourer
Well I bought my 07 Classic and ran out to get some 440 shocks. Those have since failed and I shipped them back for warranty exchange.
I received some 444s back. The are 13" Standards. I installed them and sat on the bike. Well after adjusting the shocks to only drop an inch with my fat ass on it, (6'5 270lbs) I was down 3 notches. Since it only has 4, I think I am in bad shape. No saddle bags, no wife, no trunk and I am down to notch 3 already.

They have a HD spring for the 444. Does anyone have any experience with it? I mean will the bike ride like crap when empty and just me on it? I know I felt ok with the 440s, at least till riding 2 up. I think I would face the same problem with the standard 444s

opinions?

The 444s are auto adjusting for the damping and an easy hand twist for the spring rate.
Should be a can o' corn to adjust on the fly for two-up riding.
I weigh like you and love my 444s and have the HD springs; however, I ride exclusively solo.
BTW - the stock height is 12½ inches and were I you I would adjust for proper sag.
Google it.

Boy I feel for the shocks:D and are the 444s guaranteed for life like the 440s are? the 11.5" 440s I have for sale have a lifetime warranty.
Try them out if they are okay you should be fine unless you are planning on adding on some more weight.
When I first got my 440s they came with HD springs well after a day of riding I sent them back for the medium springs as the HD springs would throw my 185#arse off the bike at each bump.:eek:

Boy I feel for the shocks:D and are the 444s guaranteed for life like the 440s are? the 11.5" 440s I have for sale have a lifetime warranty.
Try them out if they are okay you should be fine unless you are planning on adding on some more weight.
When I first got my 440s they came with HD springs well after a day of riding I sent them back for the medium springs as the HD springs would throw my 185#arse off the bike at each bump.:eek:

HEH, HEH, HEH :D
I'm 70 - a guarantee for life is pretty useless to me. :roll:

From what I recall, Progressive only recommends the HD for the Rocket anyway. It's a heavy bike in itself, to say nothing of when you have a passenger and luggage.

I'm not svelte and got the HD's and don't find them too hard at all. But a 80 lb rider no doubt would.

I think that Progressive recommends it for any bike if the rider is 270 lbs or over or rides two-up.

Very happy with them personally.

At 270lb, then adding a passenger and luggage you are definitely a candidate for the HD setup. 270 without passenger or luggage you'd be on the upper limit for non-HD and lower end for the HDs, as you have found when setting preload.

At 270lb, then adding a passenger and luggage you are definitely a candidate for the HD setup. 270 without passenger or luggage you'd be on the upper limit for non-HD and lower end for the HDs, as you have found when setting preload.

Well thanks for that information. Guess i should sell these and buy some hd 444s
Anyone looking to buy a set?

Back