4000 miles on new bike, rear brake squeal

Anomaly

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
Bought a 2015 R3T new old stock a few days over 2 months ago. I've put 4000 miles on it and all the sudden it's developed a rear brake squeal. I've seen some other posts about this around 20K but not at this few of miles. Has anyone else experienced this on their bike?

Squealing brakes can happen on any make , model of bike or car and is generally caused by glazing of the pads . Replacement of the pads will cure this but , if on a budget or plenty of meat left then try this .
Remove pads and whilst preventing breathing in any dust , carefully remove the glaze off the pads with 1000 grit emery cloth . Then gently scour the rotors the same way ,
Clean everything with brake cleaner and when mounting the pads back into the caliper , I put a small amount of copperslip, or a proprietary brake grease to the back of the pad , taking care not to get any on the pad surface or rotor ! This will make em good as new ! If the pads are worn more than is worth it , then replace with original triumph pads as these do tend to work best !
Glazing probably caused by grease or Bull**** spray on disc rotors whilst bike been standing in showroom !
Hope this helps ? :thumbsup:

Glazing can be caused by showroom crap. Nice.

Well, I guess I'll have my mechanic take a look at it and replace 'em or sand 'em

Squealing brakes can happen on any make , model of bike or car and is generally caused by glazing of the pads . Replacement of the pads will cure this but , if on a budget or plenty of meat left then try this .
Remove pads and whilst preventing breathing in any dust , carefully remove the glaze off the pads with 1000 grit emery cloth . Then gently scour the rotors the same way ,
Clean everything with brake cleaner and when mounting the pads back into the caliper , I put a small amount of copperslip, or a proprietary brake grease to the back of the pad , taking care not to get any on the pad surface or rotor ! This will make em good as new ! If the pads are worn more than is worth it , then replace with original triumph pads as these do tend to work best !
Glazing probably caused by grease or Bull**** spray on disc rotors whilst bike been standing in showroom !

or don't use the rear!!

When I bought mine in Feb of this year with 3 miles on it, the rear brakes had a squeal. Still do. I'll deal with it when it is time to change the pads.

I'm going to have to agree with the other gents, something from the dealer or direct from triumph got on the pads and then they were heated up quickly to cause the glazing.

I saw my previous Yamaha come directly out of the crate. They, Yamaha, slather quite a bit of goo on the bikes to fend off the salt water from transport across the ocean. Could be the same for Triumph and the dealer just didn't clean it all off well enough.

Unfortunately, I think there must be an underlying problem. Never felt any problems, and wasn't told there were any problems at the first oil change. That being said, when riding home today the rear brake felt like it wasn't effective, so I stopped using it. Pulled the pads to find this:

gN64fbqh.jpg

uk1XPsih.jpg

I cannot fathom how in the world the brakes could be worn down so fast. I don't ride with my foot on the pedal, and I don't brake solely with the rear. Only once have I even activated the ABS (SUV ran a red light and T-boned the car in front of me)

My other bike is a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit with 17,000 miles. Last time I checked the rear brakes was around 15K miles and the brakes had minimal wear and tens of thousands of miles left. I can not comprehend how this happened, and how whatever the problem how it's gone unnoticed. My bike has been into 3 different shops, 7 times in the last 67 days for upgrades and service (inspection, oil change, LEDS, etc.)

I'm at a loss for words.

There are some posts around here of the rear brakes locking up on a few members. Can't remember the years and models of the Rocket though. 4k miles is awful low for that to be an issue though

Wow ! They gone a bit beyond glazing .
Is the rotor discoloured ?
Surely that would have been a graunch as opposed to a squeal ?
This was discussed in a previous thread and the general consensus of opinion was poor rear brake set up and adjustment !
This should surely fall as warranty work by your dealer ? They must have been very near their service limit when you bought the bike ?
It does look like they are too far gone for the rotor to have survived without bad scoring at the very least ! Hope you get this sorted mate without expense to yourself ?

Back