3 to 1 exhaust alternative question

Kicker2632

.020 Over
Ride
2018 Rocket 3 Roadster
Hey all. New to triumph and this might be a stupid question. I see a lot of discussion about the crossover built by Paul Bryant(props where its due Paul excellent looking work) to get rid of the empty cat box obstruction. Which if I wanted to keep both pipes would absolutely be the way to go imo.Which I still might..My question is wouldn't it save weight and be more cost effective to ditch the left side altogether and just make a small connector pipe to the existing right side? Is this even possible? I realize that their is a cat in the pipe but it could either be removed or a slip on could then be put on in its place. Is the factory header flow and stock muffler flow really that bad to not even attempt this?

Hey all. New to triumph and this might be a stupid question. I see a lot of discussion about the crossover built by Paul Bryant(props where its due Paul excellent looking work) to get rid of the empty cat box obstruction. Which if I wanted to keep both pipes would absolutely be the way to go imo.Which I still might..My question is wouldn't it save weight and be more cost effective to ditch the left side altogether and just make a small connector pipe to the existing right side? Is this even possible? I realize that their is a cat in the pipe but it could either be removed or a slip on could then be put on in its place. Is the factory header flow and stock muffler flow really that bad to not even attempt this?
Paul does a slip on for 3->1 looks

Anything is possible.

Pull the stock crossover and the left can. Leaving the header and right can. Put it on a trailer and take it to a muffler shop. They can bend you a short link pipe

That said, the stock header and cat in can are flow restrictions.

Yes I've seen. I'm speaking of a cat box eliminator pipe to go between stock header and muffler,which would also eliminate the left side stock setup
No that cross over is just a pipe in place of the snake box underneath. Makes thing free flowing. Many of us gave switched to a 3-1 system which is a loss of weight and a gain in power. Unless the liftershaft an you install on it is worthless.

Stock 3 piper with Cat Delete and pretty TOR tubes.

IMG_0723.JPG IMG_0748.JPG 3827.jpeg

Anything is possible.

Pull the stock crossover and the left can. Leaving the header and right can. Put it on a trailer and take it to a muffler shop. They can bend you a short link pipe

That said, the stock header and cat in can are flow restrictions.
I agree that the stock header is not ideal with the 90 degree bends at the head ,the uneven pipes to the collector and the small diameter exit. Yet many are still using it with slipmons dual and single. I also agree that the stock muffler is not ideal especially since there is a cat in it. Yet people still use them with the aftermarket crossover and stock header.Im only suggesting that the weight savings and the cost of a short piece of bent pipe. Could be an appealing alternative. Just curious if this is something anyone has done? If not why?

No that cross over is just a pipe in place of the snake box underneath. Makes thing free flowing. Many of us gave switched to a 3-1 system which is a loss of weight and a gain in power. Unless the liftershaft an you install on it is worthless.
Yes I understand this. I agree that 3to1 makes more sense if it is feasable

Back