3 fold problem - HELP

Grendel

.040 Over
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket II Roadster
Hey Guys,

Alright, like the subject says, I have a 3 fold problem. First, I made a post a couple weeks ago on both the .com and .net sites about having a Check Engine Light that stays on (Links are here if you want to look):

I still have this issue, which is problem 1.

Next, I ordered the TuneECU cable and downloaded the program to my laptop. I installed the D2XX drivers. When I launch the program and plug in the cable, I get a clue light on the cable at the bike end, but I get this message in TuneECU: "ECU is not responding: Check cable connection. Turn ignition off and on."
I have turned the ignition on and off several times. I have tried the connection on every USB port I have and I hear the Windows audio chime that something has been plugged in, but I still get the same message in TuneECU. That is problem 2.

Finally, I took my bike out riding today and everything was great. I got it home and went up into the house for a few minutes (about 5 mins) and came back out and the bike won't start. I turn the ignition and activate the switch and the lights come on and I hear the "whir" of the computer as the gauges sweep. I hit the actual ignition button and I hear a soft "click" in the bike, but that's it - nothing else. I have tried putting the bike in gear and rocking it back and forth to see if the starter is stuck, but no luck. I called the Triumph dealer and they said sometimes they get touchy and to try putting it in neutral, hold in the clutch, press and keep holding the starter button, then wiggle the clutch and see if it fires. No luck there either. Oh, and the bike won't go into First for some reason. Neutral is fine and second is fine. So that is problem 3.

I assume the first step is getting TuneECU working as that might help with the rest.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions. Please help!

I went ahead and unhooked the negative from the battery and reconnected it. There doesn't appear to be any gunk on the connection. I did go ahead and snap a pic of my fuse box in case it matters and also one of all the stuff behind that right hand side cover. I don't know what is what there, but I did notice that the "click" sound I hear is definitely coming from that area. In the fuse box picture, you can just see the negative battery connection also.

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 102
Update...

I think I was mistaken about something earlier. My headlights do not come on now. I get the sweeping of the gauges and the whir of the computer, but no lights. I didn't know if that was significant to the issue or not.

Getting the gauges to sweep and hearing the 'click' eliminates a lot of possibles. The fact your lights are not working does confuse it .. i'd take it to the Dealer and get them to run a diagnostic /fault search. Then again I don't muck around with electrics .. nuts and bolt stuff i'm ok with. Good luck and let us know when you find the fault.

I went ahead and unhooked the negative from the battery and reconnected it. There doesn't appear to be any gunk on the connection. I did go ahead and snap a pic of my fuse box in case it matters and also one of all the stuff behind that right hand side cover. I don't know what is what there, but I did notice that the "click" sound I hear is definitely coming from that area. In the fuse box picture, you can just see the negative battery connection also.

The clicking is the starter relay, replace it, that is likely what the problem is. Check all your fuses, that could be why your lights are not coming on.

3 fold problem- help

I belive there is a relay that cuts out the head lights when cranking engine could it be burnted tight? because of a low batt. ?

its weak power getting to the starter,if you add a relay to the start circuit it will elimate this problem by giving the starter direct power from the battery.theres a couple posts refering to when your starter goes click,honker posted a great therad regarding this problem

Back