2nd Stebel Nautilus hath crap-ped

Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
Out riding today went to toot the horn as I went by my parents house on the highway and barley any sound came out. Sounds just like the first one did. That one I had mounted forward and it got water in it. This one faces backwards so should not have gotten wet. I tore the first one apart. The diaphragms are made of steel and are just a little thicker than foil. They rust where they are supposed to restrict the air flow and vibrate. Has anyone else got more than a year out of these ? Is there anything as loud that lasts longer ?

Out riding today went to toot the horn as I went by my parents house on the highway and barley any sound came out. Sounds just like the first one did. That one I had mounted forward and it got water in it. This one faces backwards so should not have gotten wet. I tore the first one apart. The diaphragms are made of steel and are just a little thicker than foil. They rust where they are supposed to restrict the air flow and vibrate. Has anyone else got more than a year out of these ? Is there anything as loud that lasts longer ?
39 bucks auto zone air horns... air pump out of elements... horns all plastic... no issues

My electric stebels are louder and still going strong after 2.5 years, i recommend them:)

Over 4 years and mine work fine. Mount them under the side cover out of the elements.

Mine Stebel is in my air box, I cut a hole in the bottom with the horn facing down without any restrictions. Should be no issues with weather there. Still going well after a few years.

Mine is 4 years old, I pulled it off the C109 before I traded it in. Still works better than Mexican's blinker.

The only way to find a set of air-horns that WONT RUST is buy marine grade horns. They are made to resist salt water. Even plastic horns most likely have steel diaphragms. Facing back is NO guaranty against water ingress.

STEBEL do make a Marine version of the Nautilus. http://www.stebel.it/stebel2012/products.asp?IDserie=18&uso=1&IDprodotto=36&tipologia=nautica

" NAUTILUS COMPACT TUNING MARINE

Compact twin-tone electropneumatic horn engineered specifically for sea vessels. Perfect for small/medium sail and motor boats. Stylish Italian design allows for external viewable mountings (ex: on rollbars, etc…). Finished with “nautical white” high-grade anti-yellowing ABS. More water proof than Nautilus Compact, it features an intricate maze system for the protection of the “anti-water spray” air intake. High decibel power and pleasant pitch that only an air horn can offer (115 dB(A) at 2 meters – 139 dB(A) at 4 inches, 530 + 680 Hz). Simple and fast assembly, does not require external air tube connections. Requires only a single fixing point thanks to its all-inclusive design. Because of its style, this important instrument compliments well the other accessories normally present on sea vessels (antennas, radar, etc..). For other characteristics see “Nautilus Compact”.
Homologated CEE ECE and Electromagnetic Compatibility "

Or grab a set of Hella Supertones. They're like the original horn, about the same way the Hulk is like Bruce Banner. Same general layout, but massively louder. Mounting them in a pretty way might be tricky as they're big, round and (out of the box) red, but they even recommend they get mounted in the grill of a vehicle so I figure they have to be pretty weather-resistant. They don't give that truck air horn bellow, but a very annoying loud piercing howl. I figure reliability and volume level is the goal though.

The only way to find a set of air-horns that WONT RUST is buy marine grade horns. They are made to resist salt water. Even plastic horns most likely have steel diaphragms. Facing back is NO guaranty against water ingress.

STEBEL do make a Marine version of the Nautilus. http://www.stebel.it/stebel2012/products.asp?IDserie=18&uso=1&IDprodotto=36&tipologia=nautica

" NAUTILUS COMPACT TUNING MARINE

Compact twin-tone electropneumatic horn engineered specifically for sea vessels. Perfect for small/medium sail and motor boats. Stylish Italian design allows for external viewable mountings (ex: on rollbars, etc…). Finished with “nautical white” high-grade anti-yellowing ABS. More water proof than Nautilus Compact, it features an intricate maze system for the protection of the “anti-water spray” air intake. High decibel power and pleasant pitch that only an air horn can offer (115 dB(A) at 2 meters – 139 dB(A) at 4 inches, 530 + 680 Hz). Simple and fast assembly, does not require external air tube connections. Requires only a single fixing point thanks to its all-inclusive design. Because of its style, this important instrument compliments well the other accessories normally present on sea vessels (antennas, radar, etc..). For other characteristics see “Nautilus Compact”.
Homologated CEE ECE and Electromagnetic Compatibility "
I hear ya... just going by personal experience. .. El cheapo works well for me over the years and have since stop buying the claimed best, loudest, most expensive horns out there...

Back