Steel

Resident Coonass
Ride
2012 Roadster & 2006 Classic
From all I have read every bike since 08 shouldn't have the 2nd gear issue. Well my 2012 R3R is jumping out of 2nd at 5000 rpms on hard acceleration.
I'm taking it to the shop today to see what they can do.

Steely unfortunately the problem still exists with the detent spring a friend has a 2012 roadster who has had the spring brake He actually found the information that warp posted on this sight and fixrd

It should be covered mine was actually out of warranty and they just charged me for oil and the spring the Labour was free about $200 in total

To rehearse that my otherwise valiant 2004 Rocket III had shown this second-gear popping issue 3 or 4 times (!) almost from day one and during its first 5 years/40'000 miles of ownership. The fix or fixes (?) did not cost me a cent. Downtime, at the time, was just a minor irritant to me, given the fact that there was only a handful of Rocket's around AND given the local dealer's empathy and support (although he and others in continental Europe remained rather secretive about the fix or fixes in question).

But I can't fathom why, 10 years later, the issue, which, at the time, was described as an "early" assembly-related oversight, is still apparently unresolved by the factory???

I suppose it would help our readers here if some CURRENT clarifications were shed on the issue.

Jamie:cool:

Whe
To rehearse that my otherwise valiant 2004 Rocket III had shown this second-gear popping issue 3 or 4 times (!) almost from day one and during its first 5 years/40'000 miles of ownership. The fix or fixes (?) did not cost me a cent. Downtime, at the time, was just a minor irritant to me, given the fact that there was only a handful of Rocket's around AND given the local dealer's empathy and support (although he and others in continental Europe remained rather secretive about the fix or fixes in question).

But I can't fathom why, 10 years later, the issue, which, at the time, was described as an "early" assembly-related oversight, is still apparently unresolved by the factory???

I suppose it would help our readers here if some CURRENT clarifications were shed on the issue.

Jamie:cool:

When I had the detent spring replace on my 08 Touring last year, I asked the service person if he was replacing it with the exact same spring, he replied that since its a "rare" problem Triumph hasnt made any changes to the spring. I told him then that I know several Rocket owners that have had the same problem. Which garnered no response from him at all o_O

This was one of my justifications for purchasing the extended warranty when I purchased my new Roadster a few months ago

I beleive th edifference here is most of the bikes like mine that needed the update kit jumped out of gear as soon as you got on it. This sounds a little different since it stays in gear until 5000 rpms. Either way since th ebike is under 2 years and not highly modified (depending on the dealers prespective) it should be covered under warranty. Mind you some dealers are particulars and report everthing even the when it comes to running the wrong tire AKA car tires. Of course there also are some dealers that do not see that as a problem so I guess its like rolling the dice.

The service writer said the pipes were awesome. He liked the DS tire too and had a few questions about it.

He did think it was the detent spring. He will call me in the morning.

mine hasn't come out of gear, but the shifter definitely could use a heavier spring... it needs to be coaxed from time to time... one of those little 'learn to love' bits about the bike... may have to look into teh new spring before warranty is out...

From all I have read every bike since 08 shouldn't have the 2nd gear issue. Well my 2012 R3R is jumping out of 2nd at 5000 rpms on hard acceleration.
I'm taking it to the shop today to see what they can do.

That'd be the "you are being irresponsible" option standard on new Triumphs - 5k rpm in 2nd is breaking the legal limit in just about any part of the world so they jump out of gear for your own safety ;)

Back