20K mile service issues

dandiego

Turbocharged
Ride
2009 R3T
Picked up my R3T from its 20,000 mile service. $850 later...yikes.

Anyhow, everything felt good...really tight and strong.

On the freeway on the way home I felt the bike surging, cutting out. It did it some more when I exited.

Right at my house it died. Just quit running. It turned over but wouldn't start and there was a strong smell of gas. I stayed there for a minute and tried it a couple of more times. It finally started and I rolled into my garage.

While I was calling the dealer, I noticed gas leaking out from the bottom, possibly the overflow. Just a little bit, but the gas smell was very strong so I wheeled it back outside.

A motorcycle towing company was dispatched by the dealer and arrived in about 20 minutes. A total pro and a guy I'd definitely call if I need my bike transported again.

The owner said that it might be the gas tank fuel filter causing grief but he'd know more when he looked at it tomorrow.

Oh, well.

Also, the dealer in Maine (Paul Blouin?) did not inspect or adjust the valves at the 10K service. Said it didn't need it and now I'm wishing I'd had it done. This dealer (San Diego) didn't look at them as it's not required on the 20K service. He said they ":sounded fine" though. That's what the dealer in Maine said.

Comments from the peanut gallery?

Amazing ... another dealer that takes responsibility for a problem after a huge outlay of cash ...... good of them to send a tow ASAP.

How did I stumble onto that .01% that sucks? :rolleyes:

Glad you didn't go up in flames dude.

There's been some chatter about Triumph deciding that valves may not need checking at 10,000, depending how they sound from the outside.

Paul Blouin in Augusta is new to Triumphs, just got the dealership in July. At some point I'll be trying them out, as they're closest at 120 miles.

I did the triple K&N filter mod a few months ago and shortly thereafter it had a strong gas smell. It turned out that I had not tightened the gas line banjo bolt enough and a very, very small amount of gas was passing through. I just happened to notice a drip when I was shining a flashlight under the tank. I gave the bolt a small turn and it's been fine ever since. b.s. on the fuel filter.

An issue like a fuel filter isn't going to just show up. They forgot to reconnect/tighten something or got the two vent lines on the gas tank switched.

There's been some chatter about Triumph deciding that valves may not need checking at 10,000, depending how they sound from the outside.

Paul Blouin in Augusta is new to Triumphs, just got the dealership in July. At some point I'll be trying them out, as they're closest at 120 miles.

I'd be interested in seeing how the 10K valve thing goes. I think there's a thread on that here somewhere.

PB in Maine was OK, but they mainly just did the oil change. I asked them to follow the 10K requirements and when i picked up the bike, he told me it didn't sound like I needed the valves checks. That sucked as I was 5K miles from home and needed to get on the road.

But, hey, maybe he was right...

$850 ?!?!?

I picked mine up after the 20K service on Wednesday. $182.86. Now, I supplied my own oil and filter but the 20K service is only about 2 hours worth of work.

$850 ?!?!?

I picked mine up after the 20K service on Wednesday. $182.86. Now, I supplied my own oil and filter but the 20K service is only about 2 hours worth of work.

That's great. I can't see how they even replaced the in-tank fuel filter in 2 hours.

North County Triumph charges $1150 for the 20K service.

I think I'll be doing the 20k myself after all my luck at dealerships. Can't afford dents, skipping steps and excuses.

It seems that some dealerships are taking advantage with service charges because there are so few Triumph dealerships in the U.S. You would think that Triumph would put a cap on service hours for scheduled maintenance. They do it for warranty work.

Back