2016 Locked ECU ?

Paul Bryant

Living Legend
Ride
2006 Rocket
Is this correct ?

Tricky Orange Tribal I have tune ECU Which i use on my 07 rocket
If i try and use on my 2016 and ecu locked it will put the bike into limp home mode and will cost £300 to unlock.

Hmm, that's what I hear....I don't know why they need to do that though. Instead of putting it limp mode, why not make it refuse to install? sheesh! Either way somebody is going to crack it, and all will be well. Just give it time.

They have been known to scan ECU's for modified tunes, and some assume would use that info to deny warranty work. But in the US they cannot do that unless the modified tune can be proven responsible for the repairs you need. So in example if the shock absorbers are soft after 250 miles, that tune that gives you 300 horsepower is of no effect. There could be emission issues for wanting you to keep their tune, but it's still your bike, and if you want to change it and are able to change it, it is yours to do, though you may assume a certain amount of risk. I've done mine, and everybody and his brother have done theirs! Some with dealer help so.......tune early, and tune often!

Only thing that is close it not working from my understanding is 07 has a different VIN than the 16. TuneECU will not load it if the VIN isn't for that year model. Back in 2014 it was members mentioned that the ECU was locked but that theory has faded in the wind it seems.

three generations of ECU, 1) Rocket 3 Std / Classic, 2) Rocket 3 Roadsters 2010-2012 and some very early 2013, 3) Rocket 3 Roadster since then, none locked as yet

Back