2014 Rocket 3 noise in final drive/large amount of metal particulate in oil

JC1

Standard Bore
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket 3
Has anyone had a problem with the final drive on a 2014 Rocket 3? Is there a special tool available to remove the pinion housing and shaft? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It happened to me...

I sent mine to another member here (was it @TURBO200R4 ?) to see if he could rebuild it- not sure what became of that. Maybe he will chime in.

I disregarded the advice to also replace the driveshaft and ended up having to do that later. Best to do when you replace the FD.

Check Pinwall Cycle if you want to try going with a used one.

Good Luck

I received the old final drive and when i checked it out i could tell the by the end play that the bearings were shot.
Now the collar was good (teeth) and i have offered it to a couple of guys.
It seems that it is the early one with the smaller dia. splines so i decided not to build it.
My advice would be is to get the later fd with the larger spline collar and driveshaft so u can have the tuffer set up.

I received the old final drive and when i checked it out i could tell the by the end play that the bearings were shot.
Now the collar was good (teeth) and i have offered it to a couple of guys.
It seems that it is the early one with the smaller dia. splines so i decided not to build it.
My advice would be is to get the later fd with the larger spline collar and driveshaft so u can have the tuffer set up.
Thank you for the response. How can I tell if my final drive is the later version? Do you know what year is the later final drive set up? Is there a tool available to remove the pinion assembly from the final drive. Without a special tool I do not see a way to remove it in order to replace the tapered roller bearing on the end of the pinion shaft. So far I have been able to locate a source for the bearings and seals in the final drive with the exception of the pinion bearing because I am unable to remove the pinion shaft without a tool. Thanks again for all your help.

Thank you for the response. How can I tell if my final drive is the later version? Do you know what year is the later final drive set up? Is there a tool available to remove the pinion assembly from the final drive. Without a special tool I do not see a way to remove it in order to replace the tapered roller bearing on the end of the pinion shaft. So far I have been able to locate a source for the bearings and seals in the final drive with the exception of the pinion bearing because I am unable to remove the pinion shaft without a tool. Thanks again for all your help.

Back