2014 Roadster engine/using 05 GPS harness??

Rocketeer4life

Built like a rock
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
Hello all! My question is how to properly utilize the 05 GPS connection to install to the 2014 engine I am swapping with.
So can the existing 2014 gps parts be used instead? Or am I looking at reusing the internal 05 spring and detent pin? Thanks a bunch for any help.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hello all! My question is how to properly utilize the 05 GPS connection to install to the 2014 engine I am swapping with.
So can the existing 2014 gps parts be used instead? Or am I looking at reusing the internal 05 spring and detent pin? Thanks a bunch for any help.
Cheers
Reuse all the '05 ,spring, pin, and switch...hang onto the 2014 spring,pin, and switch for future toys...

The 2014 doesn't have a spring and pin, it is built into the GPS unit. Plus the plug/wiring is different. You will have to use all 05 parts as said.. assuming your harness is also an 05...

The 2014 doesn't have a spring and pin, it is built into the GPS unit. Plus the plug/wiring is different. You will have to use all 05 parts as said.. assuming your harness is also an 05...
Thanks.yeah the bike is entirely still out fitted with its oem 05 harness.
pshhh now that i have er open, every nook n cranny is caked with dust or thick grease. Perfect time to wipe down till like new. After many hours scouring the forums I got a good idea id have to use the 05 gps. First lead from cootertwo who did almost the same exact project as me. He mentioned having to use additional washers tho to make it work.
So your more in depth feedback is priceless to confirm this projects ago!
That being said are you aware of if theres a process to install the 05 pin n spring in? Or is it as simple as install n good to go?

Another curious inquiry. Do you or anyone else here advise or recommend utilizing the 2014's newer sensor cable connections and misc cables(aside from the gps hookup)?? Wonder if its worth simply reconnecting their harnesses seeing as most of the same original 05 connections are disconnected and out of the frame for less hastle

On the left is the 2010 onwards Roadster GPS, where the pin is not spring loaded and is built into the sensor unit.
On the right is the 04 - 09 Rocket/Rocket Classic GPS, where the pin is separate from the sensor unit, and is spring loaded to keep the pin pushed against the sensor 'pads'.
1619375533784.png

The 04-09 pin and spring sat into the pocket in the gear position shaft.
N.B. this is taken out as below when using the 2010+ Roadster GPS on the engine.
1619375434495.png

1619375455693.png

1619375468625.png

Another curious inquiry. Do you or anyone else here advise or recommend utilizing the 2014's newer sensor cable connections and misc cables(aside from the gps hookup)?? Wonder if its worth simply reconnecting their harnesses seeing as most of the same original 05 connections are disconnected and out of the frame for less hastle

Not sure I understand the question.. do you mean use the 2014 main harness with the 2014 engine in the 2005 bike frame?

Not sure I understand the question.. do you mean use the 2014 main harness with the 2014 engine in the 2005 bike frame?
Naw. As in the 2014 came with every sensor- give or take-still installed including battery earth cable and a few other connections like the starter power. And its already still connected to its starter minus reconnecting a little tab lookin wire. But i still have the main 05 harness intact. Romoved the loose cables and sensors that were disconnected from the 05 engine

Back