2013 is the ignition switch still an issue?

Victor Chiappetta

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Hi all pouring through the forum in anticipation of picking up my leftover 2013 and I am just wondering if the ignition switch is still something to be concerned with or have the issues been sorted out?Seems like the complaints were from older models.

Hello Victor, i think on a 13 you don't have to worry about the ignition problem, some older models had it some did not, i have an 05 built in 04 and never had that problem, then again, if it is man made it can malfunction, don;t worry about it and go for it!!:thumbsup:

I'll let the experts say for sure, but my understanding was triumph put headlight cutout relays into the newer models. They didn't really change/correct the problem, they just added a stock "EB" type/style solution. Honestly, I think the EB was better as it took the current completely off the ignition? Again, that's my poor man's understanding of it. Either way, it shouldn't be an issue for you the way it was with some of our older models ;)

I don't think Triumph has done anything to the switch itself. Not only do they fail from too much current passing through it but also just shoddy design and workmanship. Now, the only function my switch does is for locking the steering column. All wiring has been redirected. The stock wire connections (mine) were less than adequate ie cold solder joints. Plus the switch is located where the wires going into the bottom of the and flex with every turn of the bars where they attach to the switch. There is a an extensive link here asking for Triumph to quit ignoring the switch problem (Started by TDragger?).

I don't think Triumph has done anything to the switch itself. Not only do they fail from too much current passing through it but also just shoddy design and workmanship. Now, the only function my switch does is for locking the steering column. All wiring has been redirected. The stock wire connections (mine) were less than adequate ie cold solder joints. Plus the switch is located where the wires going into the bottom of the and flex with every turn of the bars where they attach to the switch. There is a an extensive link here asking for Triumph to quit ignoring the switch problem (Started by TDragger?).
Hmm not exactly heart warming news.I wonder if there is a replacement switch?Wonder why Triumph hasn't done anything about I it?By all accounts the bikes in general are very high quality and well built.Guess I'll read through that entire thread,it is a long one!Guess a good option is keeping a spare on the bike.....

You can build your own or there are a few off the shelf. There are several threads on here with how to and other options. However, I highly recommend @DEcosse system. His plug and play would also mean if you need to take it into triumph, you can unplug the harness, plug in the original ignition for while it's at the shop, and then go back to keyless when you get it home!

You can build your own or there are a few off the shelf. There are several threads on here with how to and other options. However, I highly recommend @DEcosse system. His plug and play would also mean if you need to take it into triumph, you can unplug the harness, plug in the original ignition for while it's at the shop, and then go back to keyless when you get it home!
Thanks for that.Much appreciated.

Back