2011 R3R won't crank. Solenoid? Starter button?

Martin-Brighton-uk

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Roadster in HOK Burgundy Candy
I've seen lots of ignition switch failure threads and Eastern Beaver highlight mod, but I'm not sure if I'm hitting the same issue. Got 2011 R3R, She's always been a bit lazy with starting, kinda press the button and it doesn't start to crank immediately, takes half a second sometimes, when today She won't crank at all. I've checked all the fuses and when I turn the key switch on, the clocks fire up, but the press starter button doesn't make her crank. UPDATE, I jab the button several times and she now cranks but is tempermental. It's running fine and the battery is good, could it be solenoid or starter button itself?

Sorry this comes up a bit and I see several existing threads but if anyone can chime in that would be top banana. Thanks captains!

Martin UK

All of the above. Even if you just loosen the terminals on the battery cables, squirt some WD-40 on em, and retighten, will help. These Rockets take a LOT of amps to crank over, and to make spark too. I've had batteries go limp, would crank over slow, but drawing so much from the weak battery, it won't make spark. Or it could be as simple as a bad starter relay.

@1K9 Thanks, I see those on eBay. TRIUMPH ROCKET III STARTER MOTOR SOLENOID REPAIR KIT ( 428000-1810 ) | eBay from the UK too so should be quick shipping. Interesting that the fault indication on the eBay item suggests you just hear a click and no starter motor turns. When mine is playing up, you push the starter button and don't hear anything (at least I don't think, will really try to listen). Also there is reference in the forum to the clutch lever switch being a bit dicky, where releasing the clutch lever slightly made it make connection and bike cranked. When I was troubleshooting earlier at the side of the road when she wouldn't start, I got bored of pulling the clutch lever while trying various things so I taped it pulled in and focussed on messing with the loom while jabbing the starter button, so I don't think it is that switch.

Having a similar issue with mine, but I know my ignition is dodgy, but battery is good. Enough fiddling with key and it goes. Going to buy DeCosse's keyless ignition rather than pay even more for another inferior ignition.

No one has mentioned this bit how old is the battery and is it fully charged. But yes on cleaning cables on battery starter and the negative on the engine block down close to the starter. Remove all cable ends and insure proper cleaning to rule that out period. Pull starter relay and check for corrosion and re install so you know contacts are good.

@1K9 Thanks, I see those on eBay. TRIUMPH ROCKET III STARTER MOTOR SOLENOID REPAIR KIT ( 428000-1810 ) | eBay from the UK too so should be quick shipping. Interesting that the fault indication on the eBay item suggests you just hear a click and no starter motor turns. When mine is playing up, you push the starter button and don't hear anything (at least I don't think, will really try to listen). Also there is reference in the forum to the clutch lever switch being a bit ****y, where releasing the clutch lever slightly made it make connection and bike cranked. When I was troubleshooting earlier at the side of the road when she wouldn't start, I got bored of pulling the clutch lever while trying various things so I taped it pulled in and focussed on messing with the loom while jabbing the starter button, so I don't think it is that switch.

Unplug the clutch switch, clean it with a blast of brake cleaner, spray some Desoxit or lube it with a drop of WD40 or dielectric grease and reconnect it. This is what I call Brit Gremlins.

@1K9 Thanks, I see those on eBay. TRIUMPH ROCKET III STARTER MOTOR SOLENOID REPAIR KIT ( 428000-1810 ) | eBay from the UK too so should be quick shipping. Interesting that the fault indication on the eBay item suggests you just hear a click and no starter motor turns. When mine is playing up, you push the starter button and don't hear anything (at least I don't think, will really try to listen). Also there is reference in the forum to the clutch lever switch being a bit ****y, where releasing the clutch lever slightly made it make connection and bike cranked. When I was troubleshooting earlier at the side of the road when she wouldn't start, I got bored of pulling the clutch lever while trying various things so I taped it pulled in and focussed on messing with the loom while jabbing the starter button, so I don't think it is that switch.

If your battery is good, then go with the solenoid repair kit. Mine did this for two years corrosion/ arcing on solenoid. Replaced it and she spins faster then she ever did. Try putting bike in (5th)gear, rock her back and forth and try to start. Dead spot on solenoid. Good luck and while your at it clean up both -+ cables and double up on the negative from the battery to the starter helps a lot!! Less then12 buck for cable from triumph.

Thanks all, will try the tips out and let you know how I get on. The battery is original, so getting on for 7 years old now but seems strong. Will try jump starting it off powerful SUV battery. If it is still hesitant to crank and I have to jab the button several times, then it should rule out the battery.

Back