2009 Touring vs 2013 & up

Willyone

Supercharged
Ride
2012 HD Road King & 2001 HD Heritage Springer
Sooooo, I test rode a 2009 Touring yesterday that has about 9,000 miles on it. Bike has newer Avon Cobra's on it. The ride/suspension is far superior to my 2012 Road King, way (way way) better. Engine, shifting, etc. seemed to be spot on. Overall I was impressed. The bike has D&D muffs and a K&N filter and has been tuned to accommodate those changes. Seems to run great with zero to limited pop on decal, and noticeably more get up and go than my Road King, as expected. Asking price, in the $7,000 range, seems reasonable.

Seller didn't have the bike dyno'd but was told it should be about 125ish HP, I have no idea about that. Now some questions.... Realizing the internet isn't always, ahem dependable, via internet searches I've found that Tourings beginning 2013 or 2014 went from 106 HP up to 148 HP, and were fitted with the larger rear tires, similar to the Roadster, is that right? If that is correct, considering the more HP and larger rear tire, would it make more sense to wait for a decent deal on a later model Touring? Given the stats provided on the '09 I rode, performance wise would there be any or much noticeable difference between that bike and a 2013/14 or later?

I realize it's my choice and my $$ but I'm still on the learning curve, so thoughts, opinions and or input from the more experienced captains here is appreciated.

No, no major changes to the touring, electronic stuff only. Less than 100 hp at rear wheel stock, high 90s, I think. Detuned from Roadster, but it's all done in the ECU, easily brought up to snuff with a $20 cable and freeware, called tuneECU. All Tourings take a 180

You've maybe been looking at the tourer version of the classic rocket which is totally different from the touring.

The touring has always been high 90's hp but with a healthy torque increase. The power is easily upped to that of the other versions with a tune. There's nothing mechanical that restricts the engine.

All tourer take a 180 section tyre no matter the production year.

ScottishR3T - it's a Touring. Thank you both for straightening me out on the HP and tire thing. I'm pondering hard on this 2009, I like it. Only down side I detected was the riding position. Handle bars are too close to me, and the floor boards feel like they're too far back, but I'm sure those can be dealt with. Guess that's the price ya pay for being a long legged knuckle dragger LOL.

Attachments

• Rocket.jpg
    Rocket.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1
Rated at 106 hp and 150 torque, but I have seen dynos more like 90 and 130. With a simple derestricting tune and TORs you will be at more like 118 and 140. Ramair and another tune you will be more like 132 and 150.

ScottishR3T - it's a Touring. Thank you both for straightening me out on the HP and tire thing. I'm pondering hard on this 2009, I like it. Only down side I detected was the riding position. Handle bars are too close to me, and the floor boards feel like they're too far back, but I'm sure those can be dealt with. Guess that's the price ya pay for being a long legged knuckle dragger LOL.

I've modded my bike considerably, but often think changing the bars was the best mod. Classic bars give way better wrist position, but maybe I'm not as long armed, it felt great, but I had to add the Rivco Risers, first time I did a U turn with new bars, it pulled the bar on the opposing side out of my hand, I couldn't reach it.

I've modded my bike considerably, but often think changing the bars was the best mod. Classic bars give way better wrist position, but maybe I'm not as long armed, it felt great, but I had to add the Rivco Risers, first time I did a U turn with new bars, it pulled the bar on the opposing side out of my hand, I couldn't reach it.

Well, my shirt sleeve length is 36 so kind of long I guess. Yep, I've read where others too have switched to Classic bars and gotten an improvement in comfort. The '09 I test rode yesterday has what appear to be Rivcos (I didn't look that closely or ask the seller), which with the Touring bars might be part of the problem, at least for me. I like the added height but not the set back. If it ends up being my Rocket the bars will be on the top of the list of changes.

Perfect, if you already have the risers you can try both ways and see which you like. I got lucky, someone here on the forum gave me a set for free, no idea if they are still available from Triumph.

Back