2008 Touring,,,,more cat questions

dbutton12

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T
I am looking for some advice on the cat box (crossover) on my 08 Touring. I bought this bike used with D&D slip ons which look and sound OK, but I would like to eliminate the Cat in the crossover. Does anyone know if anyone makes a direct fit replacement pipe. The headpipe on mine is stock and I would prefer to keep it that way. I heard rumors that a TORS crossover was available through Triumph, but my dealer can't find any info on it.

If you hav D&D mufflers you don't ahve a cat. On teh Touring theya re in the stock mufflers. I don't think Triumph ever made a crossover pipe for the Touring just the standard.

yes,,,there is a cat

The D&D pipes are just slip-on replacement for the stockers. The cat is located in the crossover......single pipe in and two out. I checked with D&D already and they do not market a cat eliminator for the touring model.

Cat or not???

If you hav D&D mufflers you don't ahve a cat. On teh Touring theya re in the stock mufflers. I don't think Triumph ever made a crossover pipe for the Touring just the standard.

It is possible that some 08 touring did not have a catalytic converter. Mine is equipped with "califoria-NY" emissions (including EVAP system) I don't know yet if Triumph marketed a non-california version of the 08 touring. NONE of the touring had the cat inside the mufflers, that may possibly be the standard or roadster, can't speak for them.

Yes the cats are in the stock mufflers on the R3T's. The crossover box/pipe is a resinator box used to balance the exhaust note. It is empty. I can't speak for the ones with California emisions. They may be different. If you have the stock mufflers, check and you will see the cat in the inlet side. If you have D&D exhaust there is no cats on your bike. The standard and roadster models have a cat in the crossover box.

This topic of R3T cats have been discussed several times on this site. Search rocket touring pipes and you will find other info. Some have even cut open the crossover box on the touring models and found that they are empty.

As I responded in your other thread on the same topic, mport is correct. I've had that box off and there is no cat inside. I also have a set of stock mufflers in my storeroom and there are definitely cats in them. There is no difference in the exhaust system on a California bike.

definitly a cat in there

Shot mine with my IR heat gun and registered 575-600 degrees with engine running so YES there definitly is a cat there in the crossover. (the head pipes right off the engine were not over 400 degrees.)
I also have my original Triumph mufflers and there is no cat in them....you can look straight through them just like the D&D pipes that are on it now.

So how many exh variations are there?????????

As I responded in your other thread on the same topic, mport is correct. I've had that box off and there is no cat inside. I also have a set of stock mufflers in my storeroom and there are definitely cats in them. There is no difference in the exhaust system on a California bike.

I just got fed up, and pulled the crossover out........no need to cut it apart!!!! I can stick a wire in and hit the converter element. Sooooo again, just what is up with that. I called Jeff, my triumph parts guru at the dealership: The part name is "Exhaust link pipe assembly" and the price is $181. The part illustration shows the catalyst element. I can't see them charging $181 for a simple "y" pipe, can you??? He also said there is no "triumph off road" system listed. Where are people coming up with this TOR system...or is just the slip-ons??

The guys that are trying to help you know Tourings; I don't. What I do know is that if your original pipes were Triumph pipes and they had no cats in them then they were TOR mufflers. Standard pipes on Tourings have cats in them. While I cannot say for certain that your bike definitely does not have a cat in the crossover connector pipe, it would seem to be very unusual if it did and possibly the only example produced.

As for whether Triumph would charge $181 for a simple "Y" pipe then of course the answer is yes. Do you seriously believe a pipe with a cat in it would sell for that? have you looked at the price of other Triumph genuine parts and accessories? $181 sounds about right to me for an exhaust link pipe without a cat. The thing you are hitting with the wire you poked in there is most likely the baffling that's in there.

I'm not quite sure why you are so certain the information being provided to you is wrong. You might want to consider the possibility that you are in fact mistaken and that these guys actually know what they're talking about.

Back