tabledrain

.040 Over
Ride
2008 R3T
So good sh$t happens along with bad sh$t, often all mixed up in recurring cycles all the way from the start to the end.
I mean depending on where you want the good and the bad to start, you could go back to when you went to the drive in with dad and came home with mum.

So for this little episode lets start it with a good ****.
All week i had been noticing the big girl was getting difficult to change gears. I put it down to the lever position and a sore ankle.
Saturday 27 Jan about 12.30 I rolled out the gate near Beenleigh for a little ride. That's good ****. I rode out to Miles QLD, went down to Goondiwindi, headed south to Moree , did a u-ey, went up to Warwick. That's all good ****. As it is all mostly top gear work, except for the towns i didn't change gears much but i did notice it was having to be positively focussed on to make **** happen with the left foot.
I had been playing catch up with a fellow Iron Butt Rally finisher ( mounted on a 2018 HD orange bagger thing)and did so at midnight in Warick. We chatted some, snored some, had an early breakfast and then went along to another pub and met a few mates. That's all good ****. All the while the shifting was getting positively difficulter. that's getting to be bad ****.

After a suitable amount of time at the pub, me and ol' mate left. I got to the first tee junction and the shifting function stopped altogether. That's bad ****. What's good **** is i could cruise into Toowoomba, stuck in first gear at 40kmh and along the way contacted a mate in town. We dumped the trumpy there, i hopped on the back of the bagger and we rolled on down the range in the rain( thats more good ****) to Beenleigh again, home to a coldie, a BBQ and good nights sleep.
More good **** happened. A mate of mine who is Goldwing fanantical mad, hooked up the trailer to his car, we drove up to Toowoomba, loaded the Trumpy and i got to look at the world while Gold wing mate drove us up and back. Thats more good ****.
Two hours later I am in the shed, a quick chat to Mittsy as a balancing view( that's good ****) on the bad **** that happened in my transmission, out with the tools, off with the clutch and hey presto a little detent spring has snapped off the end. thats bad ****, although it wasnt entirely unexpected, so thats good ****, right? are you keeping up?

So tomorrow its off to Triumph for gaskets and spring ( hopefully in stock but I am resigned to having to drive- that is realllly bad ****) to work for a few days until the bits are in town.

At which point i will reassemble all to be able to riding again, which is really good ****.

Suppose the good******** is the weather man says it’s going to rain over the next couple of days so the car to work will work in your favour :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Suppose the good******** is the weather man says it’s going to rain over the next couple of days so the car to work will work in your favour :thumbsup::thumbsup:

So good sh$t happens along with bad sh$t, often all mixed up in recurring cycles all the way from the start to the end.
I mean depending on where you want the good and the bad to start, you could go back to when you went to the drive in with dad and came home with mum.

So for this little episode lets start it with a good ****.
All week i had been noticing the big girl was getting difficult to change gears. I put it down to the lever position and a sore ankle.
Saturday 27 Jan about 12.30 I rolled out the gate near Beenleigh for a little ride. That's good ****. I rode out to Miles QLD, went down to Goondiwindi, headed south to Moree , did a u-ey, went up to Warwick. That's all good ****. As it is all mostly top gear work, except for the towns i didn't change gears much but i did notice it was having to be positively focussed on to make **** happen with the left foot.
I had been playing catch up with a fellow Iron Butt Rally finisher ( mounted on a 2018 HD orange bagger thing)and did so at midnight in Warick. We chatted some, snored some, had an early breakfast and then went along to another pub and met a few mates. That's all good ****. All the while the shifting was getting positively difficulter. that's getting to be bad ****.

After a suitable amount of time at the pub, me and ol' mate left. I got to the first tee junction and the shifting function stopped altogether. That's bad ****. What's good **** is i could cruise into Toowoomba, stuck in first gear at 40kmh and along the way contacted a mate in town. We dumped the trumpy there, i hopped on the back of the bagger and we rolled on down the range in the rain( thats more good ****) to Beenleigh again, home to a coldie, a BBQ and good nights sleep.
More good **** happened. A mate of mine who is Goldwing fanantical mad, hooked up the trailer to his car, we drove up to Toowoomba, loaded the Trumpy and i got to look at the world while Gold wing mate drove us up and back. Thats more good ****.
Two hours later I am in the shed, a quick chat to Mittsy as a balancing view( that's good ****) on the bad **** that happened in my transmission, out with the tools, off with the clutch and hey presto a little detent spring has snapped off the end. thats bad ****, although it wasnt entirely unexpected, so thats good ****, right? are you keeping up?

So tomorrow its off to Triumph for gaskets and spring ( hopefully in stock but I am resigned to having to drive- that is realllly bad ****) to work for a few days until the bits are in town.

At which point i will reassemble all to be able to riding again, which is really good ****.

Very well put and a good read. Hopefully the detent spring is the answer. There is so much bad s*** on this site about these gearboxes it's financially frightening.

That story kinda made bad **** (broken bike) into good **** (fun story)! When people start talking about early memories, I like to throw in "I remember going to a party with my dad, and coming home with my mom" Good **** !!! :roll:

So today i stood back 5 metres, threw all the parts into the engine and hey presto, the clutch works. But, for the first time, I do have a check engine light. It might be a symptom of trying to start it with the fuel pump disconnected initially. will look at it again tomorrow..

so after getting closer and hurling on some more bits and going for a ride in the morning rain, its all good here. the gear change is noticably easier too.

Fitted a new set of plugs, cleaned up a few things under the tank. good for another years riding..

Nice to know there are some simpler fixes for the rocket other than complete tear downs.
Well done mate.

Back