2007 Rocket output bearing problems ????

jeep

.020 Over
Has anyone heard of a 2007 R3 having a output bearing problem. I had a 2005 with a bearing problem that Triumph fixed under warranty (with no questios asked) and a month later wrote it off in a accident. I am looking at a 2007 R3 and am wondering if anyone has any experience or have heard of anyone having a this problem with a 2007 model

Triumph has known about this problem for awhile now (bearing is splash lubricated and could be installed backwards, starving it for lubrication)...hard to believe there'd still be a problem in 2007. I'm thinking there are some REALLY BIG signs in that area of the assembly line! I'm hoping you're well into the safety zone...let's see what the posts say. :wink:

If the output bearing is larger bearing on the damper assembly, then the mechanic at my dealer gave me an explaination of the failure. First, my failure was the smaller of the two bearings on the shaft, so, although I had a failure, i guess it wasn't the actual output bearing. Anyway, the mechanic showed me a slinger or sorts installed on the shaft next to the larger bearing. An oil slinger picks up oil and slings it on whatever is near it. This mechanic said that was the part that could be installed backwards. The smaller bearing on my bikie that did fail, was sealed on both sides. Not sure how it receives oil (maybe leaches). I didn't get a chance to study the shaft and parts....only got a minute or two to disucss.

Just got back from Sturgis...
Noticed a intermitent click click sound when backing bike up not started.. and again going forward with some momentom and cluch pulled in.

I've got 17,500k'ms on bike now, it goes in for service Sep 9th.

I'll let you know.

I still drive it to work, maybe it's that smaller bearing.

I put my bike up on a jack and turned the rear wheel while in gear. This isolated the noise for me. It was then clear that it was coming from the trans. It was the small bearing. One thing, if you do this, push the rear pads back so you don't hear them rubbing on the rotor.

tortional damper shaft unit

Jeep,

I have an 07 r3 classic. The mechanics told me that it is the tdsu. What bearing of that unit it is, I don't know. I have 4000 miles on my bike. No mods of any kind. My dealer has had the bike for almost 2 weeks. They say it is a full 2 day job for 2 mechanics to repair it. Triumph had to air the part into Atlanta and then air it up to Ohio. I ride fast but not really hard . No wheelies or burnouts or anything like that. Very disappointed in the bike right now. I've had 4 warranty visits since I bought the bike in April of 07. I hope to get the bike back this coming week.

Markc

Well here it is the end of Sept. and my r3's been in the shop for 3 weeks now. thats 21 days of beautiful riding I ain't got to do. That dog-gone output shaft bearing problem. I got 2875 miles when mine started instantly going out.Ran fine the 10 miles to the gas station. started it up to go cruising and first thought my back brake pads were dragging. after futher investigation, I realized it was internal. Didn't know if i was gonna make it home or not. now triumph has back ordered some part, so i"m still waitin".
Everbody ride safe.
hoping to be in the wind with y'all again real soon
skip

Back