2007 Rocket Classic questions from a newb

Willyone

Supercharged
Ride
2012 HD Road King & 2001 HD Heritage Springer
I hope to be taking a look at a '07 Classic this week. Bike has about 21,000 miles on it. There's talk on the site here about occasional transmission issues on the early Rockets. But I'm thinking that, if the bike has gone 21K miles and the trans is operating as it should, then it should be ok...I think. What do you more experienced-learned Rocket drivers think about that? I've also read about some wiring/ignition issues popping up on a few Rockets. Again, with 21K on the bike it seems the electrical system is holding up ok, again... I think.

Other than possible transmission and electrical, are there any other known or likely issues with an '07 Classic I should be looing for? Obviously I'll be checking tires, brakes, looking/feeling for leaks, etc.... that's the easy stuff though.

Another concern, I live in central NY, near Syracuse. And there doesn't seem to be much of a Triumph dealer network around here. I have a good independent shop that I trust, and that can take care of any issues my Harley's might have, and I plan to stop by and ask if he knows of any shop/s that could take care of a Rocket, should the need arise. FWIW, I have never seen a Rocket on the road around my neck of the woods, so I'm think'n there prolly ain't a whole lot of pro Rocket mechanics in the area. So, if I end up buying the '07 or another Rocket, I'll be on the look out for a service and owner manual. If there is a problem, I'd much rather do any repairs myself, at least what I am capable of doing.

Any input or advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance!! :D

Last edited:
I hope to be taking a look at a '07 Classic this week. Bike has about 21,000 miles on it. There's talk on the site here about occasional transmission issues on the early Rockets. But I'm thinking that, if the bike has gone 21K miles and the trans is operating as it should, then it should be ok...I think. What do you more experienced-learned Rocket drivers think about that? I've also read about some wiring/ignition issues popping up on a few Rockets. Again, with 21K on the bike it seems the electrical system is holding up ok, again... I think.

Other than possible transmission and electrical, are there any other known or likely issues with an '07 Classic I should be looing for? Obviously I'll be checking tires, brakes, looking/feeling for leaks, etc.... that's the easy stuff though.

Another concern, I live in central NY, near Syracuse. And there doesn't seem to be much of a Triumph dealer network around here. I have a good independent shop that I trust, and that can take care of any issues my Harley's might have, and I plan to stop by and ask if he knows of any shop/s that could take care of a Rocket, should the need arise. FWIW, I have never seen a Rocket on the road around my neck of the woods, so I'm think'n there prolly ain't a whole lot of pro Rocket mechanics in the area. So, if I end up buying the '07 or another Rocket, I'll be on the look out for a service and owner manual. If there is a problem, I'd much rather do any repairs myself, at least what I am capable of doing.
Any input or advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance!! :D

Check with triumph with the vin # they can tell you if any recalls are outstanding ie the trans update
i have a 06 silver motor with 38000kms and no problems with it

Depending on tbe price I'd look at it. Yes 07 werr in the group off older transmissions and some had issue's. As for working on it yourself all I can say is I never worked on a motorcycle engine or anything motorcycle before the rocket. As long as you are mechanically inclined, can read the manual which can be fown loaded on this site for free. Get some tuning software for maintenance work. And ask questions on the site if you run inti something in the manual that is confusing or not wrote in real english :D
You'll be fine. Mid 08 is the time frame when bikes were completely updated. If it has a silver motor it did not have the updates unless done after purchase whether standard, classic or the short run classic tourer. All R3T's are supposed to have came out with the updates done and I have not seen anything to question that.

I gave my 2007 Classic to my son several years ago. I think it had a bit over 30k on it. I was always concerned about some of the reported issues but never had any and it's still running strong.
Rocket with Fly Screen.jpg

Welcome from Massachusetts..Get yourself a good battery tender,once it slips below twelve volts she gets particular about starting. Try Maximum Motorsports in River Head ask for Nathan if he still works there. Triumph dealers in our neck of the woods are rare as hens teeth....

Depending on tbe price I'd look at it. Yes 07 werr in the group off older transmissions and some had issue's. As for working on it yourself all I can say is I never worked on a motorcycle engine or anything motorcycle before the rocket. As long as you are mechanically inclined, can read the manual which can be fown loaded on this site for free. Get some tuning software for maintenance work. And ask questions on the site if you run inti something in the manual that is confusing or not wrote in real english :D
You'll be fine. Mid 08 is the time frame when bikes were completely updated. If it has a silver motor it did not have the updates unless done after purchase whether standard, classic or the short run classic tourer. All R3T's are supposed to have came out with the updates done and I have not seen anything to question that.

I took the my Road King for a ride yesterday to visit its possible new stable mate, the '07 Rocket Classic. At quick glance it looked good. But it was obvious that owner TLC was somewhat lacking. Weather was closing in, looking like possible rain on the way, and getting late in the day so no test ride but we did start the bike. Slow crank for 2-3 seconds and she fired, no smoke or odd/funny noises, and idle was smooth. Few throttle blips after a little warm up time and there was no cough or hic-ups. Front brake lever has lots of travel inward before grabbing so I'm think'n there's air in the line, or brake pads are down, or both. Pulled the clutch lever in a few times and it felt kind of gritty. Cable wasn't buttery smooth like my two bikes. Maybe a bit of corrosion or rust in the cable?? The engine is silver and the seller said he's owner no. 2, and doesn't believe any transmission upgrades had been done by the original owner. He popped the seat off to show me where the air filter and battery are located ('cause I asked) and everything under the seat was dusty/dirty, looked like years of dusty/dirty. (fwiw, I detail the bikes once per year, including nooks and crannies, and keep my stuff clean) Anyways, I didn't notice any coolant or other oil/fluid leaks, but there did seem to be some minor "weeping" at the front/lower gasket of the engine, but not bad. General conversation, I asked what oil was used (yeah I know...oil questions :rolleyes:) and he didn't seem too sure. That was a bit scary.... said he believes it's full of Mobile 1 10/40 or 15/50. If I was thinking, I would'a should'a checked the oil, but I didn't do that.

There are few minor blemishes on the paint but noth'n bad, no abuse, nothing I can't take care of with a good compounding, polish, and sealant application. My impression is, current owner isn't overly concerned about the details, as long as the bike runs ok, he's ok with it. Bike has just over 22K on it and the asking price is $6,000 (well, $5,999 to be exact). If I bought the bike I'd put crash bars and after market mufflers on it, also remove the rear sissy bar and add a one up seat, so up goes the cost, to me. I'm tempted to make an offer but a test drive is mandatory first. There are what seem to be better deals out there (Craigslist), but nothing even close to being local. There are **** few Rockets around here, never have seen one on the road. Might need to take a road trip.... pondering.

Just Thinking out loud about this.... thanks for listening :) And any comments / suggestions are certainly welcome!!

Back