2007 Model R3 - Gear shilft problems

Skull Duggery

Standard Bore
Greetings All,

I'm a newbie. Had my 2007 R3 since Feb 09. My mate also has a 2007. He's had problems with the gears - so took it in to a Triumph dealer. His main problem was that he couldn't prove that all his serving had been done by a dealership. He's now done around 50,000 miles. He couldn't get it into 2nd gear. Dealship told him that as the gearbox was part of the engine assembly, the gear drive has destructed and more or less stuffed the rest of his motor (???). At any rate, he heard that the 2007 R3 did have some 'gear' problems and that Triumph would fix it under their warrnty. However as he couldn't prove a regular service history, he was told that to fix the bike - it would cost - wait for it.... US$13,927.00!! Yep that's right about $15,000 Australian dollars. Basically it meant a complete strip down of the bike and an complete engine rebuild. Many weeks or arguments between my mate, the dealership, Triumph Australia and Triumph UK resulted in a compromise. Triumph agreed to supply all the parts - but labor costs were his. That amounted to US$3,429.00. (About $3,500 Oz bucks). Very expensive exercise. Now I too have a 2007 R3. I've only done about 20,000 miles and can prove servicing Ok. Question is - has anyone else heard of a possible 2007 R3 gear problem that Triumph knows about - but only addressing when it is reported???

Yes it is a common issue. They have developed an upgrade kit that addresses that and some other issues. Do a search for upgrade kit. I had the upgrade kit done, head gasket leak fixed and torsional dampener replaced with parts and labor paid by Triumph, 18 months outside of warranty, and I have done all of my own service.

Yes it is a common issue. They have developed an upgrade kit that addresses that and some other issues. Do a search for upgrade kit. I had the upgrade kit done, head gasket leak fixed and torsional dampener replaced with parts and labor paid by Triumph, 18 months outside of warranty, and I have done all of my own service.

Were you having problems (other than leaking gasket) or was upgrade kit put in as a preventative/proactive measure?

Gear Shift

I called TRIUMPH in Newnan, Ga., today relating that it is sometimes difficult to get my 07 into first gear. Their rep claimed there was never a gear shifting problem with R3s.The rep advised I could take it to a dealer for a checkup. What is the skinny.

Hey XXL have you checked the clutch cable adjustment maybe you have to much free play in it.

easy to check and highly important!!!

I have an 08 and sometimes find it does not shift cleanly and am currently waiting for my dealer to get the top end gasket kit cause my headgasket started weeping at back of motor shortly after first service at around the 2000 km mark, is it possible that I may need to have the gear box upgraded as well, is it possible that maybe my 08 was built early 08 with some of the leftover 07 parts

Back