2006 Classic that has been sitting

Ragnar

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket classic
Hello all
Would like to get some advise on overhauling my new 2006 Triumph Classic.

The bike has the following history:
Imported to Iceland in 2011 form NY.
Has 15.600 miles on the clock
Has clock and fuel gauge in addition to speedo and rev.
Gigantic floorboards, humongous screen dual seat and sissybar
Had the 2 gear fixed in 2012
Has a K&N air filter
Has unused tires (2 years old)
Has a decat exhaust
Supposed to have a "chip" and to be 170 hp (Not convinced that is accurate! )
The bike has only been ridden 1500 miles since 2011 (10 miles since 2015)
Has a tow hitch!

The bike looks good but runs real badly. so I am looking for advise on areas to cover, the obvious are:

All fluids, engine, shaft drive, clutch and brake
Check the air filter
Spark plugs and leads.
Check the coils
Valve clearance
clean the injectors

What am I missing?
Recommendation on where to buy parts.

cheers and thanks in advance
Ragnar

Welcome to the forum. After doing all the stuff you mentioned, let the bike idle without touching the throttle until the fan cycles on and off at least twice (known as the 12 minute tune). This will reset the ECU and allow the bike to clear itself out. Then enjoy your ride.

Ragnar

As well as what you have noted. Remove the rear wheel and bevel box and make sure the shaft drive splines are properly lubricated. And to be honest if it has been sat that long unused - I would seriously consider having a look at the head bearings and maybe even wheel bearings before riding. I guess is like many coastal areas - salty damp air.

Clean and re-oil the K&N

Never heard of a chip tuning solution for an R3. You can modify the ECU tune and if this has been done - but not correctly - it would help explain poor running. Also be prepared for the fact that the TPS is maybe shot (commonish issue - esp on the early models).

As an aside - I have a neighbour with an R3 that is hardly ridden - he was out riding today and the bike sounded really rough (actually I would not have ridden it) when he left - sounded better when he returned. Still not great but better. I have offered assistance before but he seems to want to do his own thing.

Once you are up and running - we'll help you spend your money on upgrades.

If it was me, id also (if you hadnt) drain the fuel. Put in some Sea Foam with some fresh fuel, do the 12 minute tune, and run a tank thru it, if it will run well enough. Then see how it runs.

Corrosion is our enemy. The battery leads may need to be changed if not upgraded. Once the earth starts losing its connection, all sorts of other electrical matters become wonky including the ECU and sensors that govern the air/fuel stuff. Good luck brother.

Back